Chapter 34: Winter's Reunion

Ignore all errors

Chapter 34: Winter's Reunion

It's not always over when we say goodbye, but every time I say it, it feels like the end. The truth is, nobody can tell the difference between a "goodbye" and a "see you later." Not even me.

- Winter Ozlin's Diary

I ended up only buying boots for Penny and a sweater for Carl at the mall since I left right after my "lunch" with Jace. I  didn't even get Marie a gift. That meant I had to go back to the mall by Thursday, or rush order a present online. 

Carl, of course, got all his gifts. 

Marie was shocked when I stormed through the door. She had on the same worried look that she had on when I left for the mall. It angered me, the way she watched me like I was supposed to have a meltdown. The faith that she had for me was little. 

Whatever Marie said when I came back home, I didn't hear it. I kept on walking straight to my room. I couldn't have handled her judgy eyes and so-called concerned talk. 

Around seven, I heard voices growing louder in the hallway outside my room. I turned from the desk to stare at my door instead. The light under my door flickered, and a knock sounded. 

"Come in," I said. I knew it was Carl. I was waiting for him to come home and scold me. 

The door creaked open. Carl's head poked through the opening. "Wanna talk about it?" His smiled showed that he actually meant it. He wanted to know how I was doing. I believed him. It was odd. All of a sudden, I had a great amount of trust toward my brother. He finally began to understand me. 

I shrugged, chewing down on my lip. "I told him everything, Carl. I figured he deserved to know." 

Carl nodded and stared down at the pearly white carpet. "Yeah, he wouldn't talk to me when we met up again." 

"Really? That's weird." 

"Not really, Winter. You know how much he cares about you. It's no surprise that you hurt him this much when you called it off with him." He stared at me when he spoke. Our eyes held similar expressions. 

"There was nothing to call off. We weren't together," I mumbled. 

"Well you more than friends." 

"I'm sorry that I hurt his feelings, Carl, but I needed too." 

"That's bull-" 

"No, Carl. I needed to stop seeing him to keep him safe. I already stabbed an arrow through his foot." 

"Austin did that. Not you."

I laughed. "I'm just as bad, Carl." I tried to convince myself that it was Austin's fault too, but that didn't work. Deep down, I knew I was the only person to blame. Finally, I was owning up to that, and in order to do that I needed to distance myself from Jace, no matter how much it hurt. 

"I don't believe that, Winter, but I'll let you be." He said goodnight, and then left my room for the rest of the evening. 

. . . 

I was eating breakfast in the kitchen when the doorbell rang. Carl stared at me from across the table. Marie pursed her lips, like always. 

"Can somebody please answer that?" Marie asked nobody in particular. Our chief glanced around the room, waiting for another employee to run to the door. 

I continued my staring battle with Carl. His look was not friendly. He knew something I didn't. The glare continued while he chewed on his bacon.

"Who's at the door, Carl?" I asked.