Chapter 30: Winter Decides

IGNORE ALL ERRORS

Chapter 30: Winter Decides

Marie made me lunch the following day. She had me eat it in the sunroom. The sunroom was where Marie always placed me when she felt I was too fragile. Marie was big on the outdoors. Since it was too cold though, she placed me in the sunroom with a fancy Italian sandwich and a small caesar salad and let me stare at out backyard.

The backyard was boring. The grass was covered with frost and you could see the dew on the outdoor furniture. I found it odd that we kept the furniture out there year round. Most families put them into storage and brought them back out for Spring. Even when my parents were outside, they didn't spend time on the patio. They were too busy working in their offices or planing fancy dinners. It was all for appearance. The patio, the sunroom, practically every room, was untouched by my parents.

"Is there anything else you'd like, honey?" Marie asked. She stroked my hair and tucked a piece behind my ear. Her smile was sincere, a smile that gave warmth, but I knew better to trust her motives.

I shook my head and swallowed the airy bread.

Carl strolled along into the room and plopped down across from me. Marie followed his movements with her eyes. I focused on my meal.

"Do you guys want something?" I asked, blinking down at my food. The back of my hand slid across my mouth to wipe off the crumbs. I took a drink of water, waiting for somebody to talk. Nobody did. I looked up to see Carl and Marie staring at one another. "Well?"

"I'm not going to tip toe around the problem anymore," Carl sighed, crossing his arms. His head rested on the back of the couch; his eyes narrowed.

"I'd prefer it if you didn't," I replied.

Marie took my hand beside me. I continued to stare at my brother.

"Is the hospital out of the question?" Carl asked.

"You mean that prison? Yes."

It surprised me that he even asked, that he even had to ask. I thought my opinions on that place were well voiced. But, it also shocked me he was trying to include me. Last time, he acted like a parent and tossed me out.

"Well, what do you want to do Winter?" Carl asked. "I have to figure out something."

I laughed. "You don't have to figure out anything. Marie is my legal guardian." I turned to Marie. Her smile was gone. She sat with a flat face and sharp eyes. It was easy to see that she didn't know what to do.

"Marie, what are your ideas?" I asked.

"Well, um, honey personally I thought the hospital would be your best option." I opened my mouth, ready to protest, but she raised her hand. "But I can see that that will not help." Thankful for her realization, I nodded. "But it is also clear that you cannot go back to Brinston, which is a pity considering you've grown up there."

"Marie, Brinston made me into the bitch I am, so I think it's for the best that I don't return," I pointed out. Carl snorted; I glared at him. "Have something to say?"

"What do you want her to do, Winter? There's no where for you to go. What?" He asked, seeing my mouth gaped. "You can't go back to Brinston, the hospital is a no, and it's not like you'll go to a public school, so what is it, Winter? What do you want to do?" Carl was standing now. His hands waved through the air.

"What about you're brothers school? Would you be willing to transfer?" Marie suggested to me.

Carl scoffed. "Like she'll even get in with her track record." Marie shot him a look, but he only rolled his eyes. "She broke a girls nose, Marie, and then she had her boyfriend shoot an arrow into Jace's foot!" He sighed and rested his hand on his forehead. "A school would have to be just as messed up as her to let her in." A knot formed in my stomach from his words. I wasn't hungry anymore, my mouth dry.