Chapter 27: Winter Releases

IGNORE ALL ERRORS

Chapter 27: Winter Releases

I didn't know where to go. My suffocating dorm room was out of the question. Being there would only cause me to spiral more. I needed someplace, but I couldn't show my face anywhere. Surely everyone was appalled about what Austin did. And of course word had to have gotten out about who had told him to do it. But I didn't tell Austin to shoot an arrow into Jace's foot! Even I had morals.

"Winter?" A girl called out to me once I exited the nurses building. She sat at a table with her friends, despite it being thirty degrees out. She stood once I ran through the doors. I recognized her immediately. She was the girl who I thought was Emma. "Is everything alright?" She continued when I didn't answer.

"I um-" I chewed on my lip. What could I say? Jace had just basically banished me from his life. I was in my pajamas outside in the freezing cold. It was probably a known fact around school that I was a psycho.

"Did the nurse let you leave?" She asked and cocked her head. Slowly, her friends began to rise with narrowed eyes. "She told me that you'd probably be able to leave after dinner." She shrugged, obviously not concerned that it was before dinner. And when did she talk to the nurse? Despite everything I did, she was actually concerned.

"No. I kinda just... left," I admitted, and I had no clue why I did that either. Why hadn't I just lied and said yes? I didn't know the girl and I owed her nothing, but still I felt bad for her. After all, I did practically scream at her because I thought she was Emma.

The girl scrunch her forehead. Her friends hid their faces to the ground. They clearly didn't like me, but the other girl was different. She wasn't even scared of me. After all I did, she still saw me as a normal student.

"I was planning on going to the diner," I blurted out after we stood there staring for a minute. My hands were cold and I regretted only being in my pajamas, but I needed to feel the sharp air. "You can come if you want."

The girl had beautiful blue eyes and she blinked. But then slowly, a smile formed. "I think we would all like that," she said quietly and pointed to her friends at the table. Their heads suddenly popped up with wide eyes. The girl looked at her friends and they began to hide again. "Alexa? Frannie? Do you guys want to go?"

"Um, well, I have a lot of homework to do," one of the girls said. she stood and slouched on her backpack. I was pretty sure that she was Alexa. She shook her red hair and it fell onto her shoulders. Biting her lip, she waited for her friend, Frannie, to also stand.

"Seriously guys?" The girl hissed at her friends.

"April, do you realized what Winter did? Does it not bother you at all?" Frannie stated as she stood with Alexa. "It's messed up, April." She shook her head and grabbed Alexa's hand. They began to walk along the path to the dorms, but April stopped them when she called out.

"You guys have be kidding!" April shouted after them. "You two should understand!"

"April," I whispered behind her. She didn't have to defend me. Her friends were right. It was awful what I did. I didn't deserve anyone being nice to me, not after everything I did to so many people.

"No, Winter. They're being rude."

"Well I'm rude eighty percent of the time, so honestly they shouldn't be anything else to me."

April spun around and shook her head. "You can't help it. You've gone through awful stuff."

"I can help it," I replied. "I was a bitch way before my parents died."