Growing Weakness

She opened her eyes, conscious of her growing weakness.

The years of distress from her host had taken its toll on her own mental strength and endurance. Now, struggled to resist the urge to reveal herself and claim her full strength as her own single entity.

While the host allowed her to remain physically, it greatly reduced her power. Still, she bided her time until the day when she no longer needed to hide.

The darkness that surrounded her host was disorienting. The girl was struggling to keep hold of reality and differentiate from nightmares, of time, and of memories. She could sense the confusion and fear that overcame the girl, always swirling through her mind. One downside to the connection with the girl was the sharing of emotions and experiences.

'Soon, I will no longer need this material connection and I may release her from my burden.' Even if she was only a pawn in the game that was her revenge, she did not wish ill on the girl. After all, she had endured years of discrimination and torture all because of her presence within her.

Such endurance and resilience was admirable.

'Perhaps I should reveal myself to the girl?' She wondered, but quickly dashed those thoughts. 'In her mental condition, that information would kill her.'

~~~

"Captain, do you think they have any fish?" Bepo asked, sniffing through the kitchen for any signs of food. Law leaned back in his chair, hat over his eyes. WIthout looking, he shrugged.

"Probably not. Kid doesn't seem to have as much as we do in terms of supplies." It was true. The captain's ship held little of food or building supplies. He assumed that was because of his innate love of treasure. Law was willing to bet there was a big stash of gold somewhere on the ship, but he had no interest in finding it.

He had other things, rather, other people to find.

"Hmm..." Bepo had a deep look of thought, and Law couldn't help but smirk. It was always amusing to know what the bear was thinking about.

"What is it, Bepo?" The bear's frown didn't disappear.

"Do you think Summer's ok?" Law's grin dissipated instantly. He shifted in his seat and tried not to let the hole in his chest ache any worse. It still stung with each thought of her in the grasp of her worst fear, and a part of him blamed himself for it.

"I don't know." He answered truthfully.

"Well, if they hurt her in any way, I'm not gonna go easy on them." Bepo stated with determination. Law was surprised at the bear's aggressive talk, though in all truth it didn't surprise him at all. Bepo was very loyal and had always had a soft spot for the blonde woman.

"I think everyone can agree with that."

~~~

"How much longer until you arrive?" The den den mushi asked. Viper wandered his quarters, glancing out the window every few feet in satisfaction.

"Well, the winds have been blowing us in the right direction, so maybe two or three weeks."

"There's no way you can speed up the process?" The voice asked, and Viper rolled his eyes.

"What's the hurry, doc? She's on her way, and there won't be any complications this time around. Now, in regards to my paycheck..." He eyed his fingernails in distaste.

"The same payment will be issued. Don't be expecting a raise of any kind."

"Now, no need to be stingy."

"You haven't exactly been efficient in retrieving her in a timely manner. I see no accomplishment to reward." Now he frowned, getting a bit annoyed with the other man.

"What do you want her for anyway?"

"I thought I told you that the reason for this research is not to be discussed. Her presence here is vital to us as a research facility. What part of that don't you understand?" He grew angrier and angrier with each word, almost shouting at him through the phone at the end.

"Whatever, we should arrive in a few weeks. You'd better have my payment ready." Viper hung up the snail with a slam and crossed his arms in frustration.

"You're almost more trouble than you're worth, love."