Everything Changes

"5 more minutes." Law looked back up from his watch, pleased to see Summer rubbing the last of the salt into Viper's wounds. His screams caused the two to wince, but only from volume. Neither really much cared about the man's well being, nor did they feel any sympathy. In fact, his cries of anguish and pain were quite pleasing to the ear, even stimulating for the pair of witnesses.

She leaned in close to his face, which was writhing in agony from the abuse and burning his body was subjected to. "Think you can make it that long?" Her taunt angered him, and in retaliation he spit directly into her face.

She recoiled only an inch or so. Law assumed she'd become angered by his show of defiance and hatred, but she merely laughed. Her hand smoothed back her long blonde hair, smearing his blood through the fair strands. This didn't seem to register.

"How much time left?" She asked quietly. He checked his watch again.

"3 minutes."

Stepping back, she took a glance at the pedestal before grabbing Viper's heart once more. The pulsing had become faster and faster as his heart rate increased, until it was in a constant state of movement. She stared at the red cube in her hand, oblivious to everything around her.

Taking the dagger from the pedestal, she stood in front of the man who'd haunted her entire life. He was sobbing pathetically, the pain of his wounds overcoming any pride he'd held onto. She stared into his face without expression. Law watched with a smirk as she brought the knife up slowly...

...And then...she lowered it.

Law's eyes narrowed, his smirk disappearing. What had happened? How quickly the bloodlust had vanish was the most concerning part. When her shoulders started to shake, he uncrossed his arms and stepped forward. He reached out a hand, intending to touch her shoulder. His footstep made a sound, and she sniffed.

"Don't." Her quiet voice pleaded. He stopped, frown set in place. Not one of anger, but of worry. She took a deep breath, letting it out and bowing her head.

His hand returned to his side, and he said nothing. Law had no clue as to what was going on, but he supposed she was physically alright. Her mental strength, he wasn't so sure, but the best he could do at the moment was listen to her.

Viper's cries had turned from sobs to hysterical little laughs upon this new development, and he glared down at the blonde.

"You can't do it, huh? I always knew you couldn't." If his intention was to anger her through provocation, he was sorely disappointed. She didn't even glance up in response. Instead, her eyes wouldn't leave the heart.

"Summer-ya?" Law asked hesitantly, and she slowly turned her large violet eyes to his gray. Tears leaked from the edges and rolled down her face, the lines washing away drops of blood that had begun to dry.

"Once he dies...everything changes." She said gently, then shook her head. "I'm still going to kill him, don't get me wrong, but after this, in three minutes, it'll be like a brand new life begins." His confusion disappeared and he nodded slowly.

"Nothing will be holding you back anymore. You'll never have to run away again." She nodded, grateful he understood the implications. She wasn't even sure why she was hesitating. Maybe this future chapter scared her. What was she to do once both Viper and the Doctor were gone? Hell, she honestly didn't know...

"There's no going back." She stated, looking down to the growing puddle of blood beneath them. "It's all gonna be so different."

Law's hand gently pushed her chin up, forcing her eye contact with him. He was smirking again, and for once it didn't irritate Summer. It was...kind...and confident. And safe. "You won't be alone." He pressed, keeping her mesmerized by those gray orbs. She hadn't taken the time to really look at them, and what she found was both frightening and comforting.

He somehow knew her pain. The how or why was unknown, but Summer knew she could trust this man and his men with her life.

"You're right. I won't be alone." She agreed, stepping back with a small smile and turning back to the greasy pirate. Holding up the dagger and heart once more, she smiled sweetly. He simply glared back, breath heaving from blood loss.

"Ever since I can remember, I've had to run and hide. Because of you and that mad scientist. For years," she gave a humorless laugh, "I thought death was the only way to escape. And you know what? I was right. But it wasn't my death. It was yours.

"And now...I can stop living the life I live...and have the life I want to live."

In one quick motion, she squeezed the heart and stabbed it with the dagger.

~~~

Law watched, satisfied, as Viper gave one last scream, his body twitching and spasming as blood began to drip from his mouth. The scream turned into a gurgled moan, and then choked coughing. The two pirates watched as he finally went limp and silent.

Summer gave a loud sigh, letting her arms go limp as well. Trying to fix her hair, she got more blood in the strands. Setting the bloody remains of the heart and her dagger back on the pedestal, she turned to Law and quickly wrapped her arms around him. Law flinched, surprised how quickly it had happened. It was so unlike her, but when her shoulders began to shake, he slowly responded.

"Thank you." He heard her whisper. He said nothing, just stood and waited until she was ok enough to move again.

~~~

*The New World*

"We have to assume the bastard's dead, right?" The redhead asked, taking another puff of her cigarette. "Why not just up and leave? I don't see the point in continuing on his 'legacy' and whatever the hell you're suggesting."

Magnuson shrugged, face expressionless. "It is customary to avenge a leader's death."

Nicki shook her head, eyes rolling. The ship rocked back and forth and all those in attendance shifted their bodies to accommodate the changing balance. "Sure, let me just throw my life away because that fucking idiot couldn't take care of his." Beside her, Kat raised her hand and waved it around eagerly.

"Ooh! Are we gonna go after them? Are we gonna rescue Viper? Cuz I wanna see Summer again!" Suddenly, her face turned dark. "So I can kill her." It immediately returned to her usual bubbly expression.

Magnuson stroked Lepus' head, who sat on his shoulder. "Yes. With Viper dead, leadership falls to me. I think it would be crazy of us not to avenge his death."

Nicki sighed, blowing out smoke. "Whatever. I don't want to, but now that he's dead I have nothing else to do with my life."

Kat smiled excitedly. "Yay! It'll be an adventure!"