The First

"Restrain her to the bed." A nurse ordered, and two male nurses gripped Summer's arms with force. It was necessary, however, because there was no purpose in her resisting. Either way, she would have ended up on the table. They dragged her body up onto the flat surface, cuffing her wrists and ankles with plastic restraints. They weren't quite as damaging to her skin, but with the previous wounds already there, they threatened to break the already ruined flesh underneath. Summer winced at the pain.

The female nurse had on a surgical mask and gloves. She couldn't see a badge or name tag anywhere on her person, otherwise she would have filed away the name for later. She vowed to take out anyone that had anything to do with her experiments there.

"Since your illness has progressed further in the decade you've been gone, we have to resort to more vigorous treatment." She said, never looking up from her clipboard. Summer said nothing, wondering if they were only faking their ignorance or if they actually didn't know she wasn't buying their lies anymore. Either way, Summer wasn't going to bring up the issue.

"Do you have the needle ready?" The woman asked one of the male nurses, who approached with a very long, pointed tool. Her eyes widened, heart skipping a beat.

'Needle?'

"It is ready to be administered." He came to stand beside her, poised to hold down her right arm. Summer tensed up, unsure of what liquid they had in the needle. It was red, and slightly viscous, but she was sure it wasn't blood.

"Administer when ready."

The man positioned the needle above her skin, and Summer closed her eyes, unable to watch it pierce her arm. She barely felt the prick, only a slight sting in the crook of her elbow. She was about to crack open her eyes, deciding it wasn't as bad as she had thought, when the sensations began to overtake her.

A very warm feeling of happiness overtook her, flooding her senses with a mellow giddiness. Her entire body relaxed and she went limp. A drunken chuckle came from her throat.

"What did you..." She couldn't finish her sentence, forgetting why she was even talking in the first place. A lazy smile carved its way onto her face, and she lolled her head to the side.

The nurse wrote more stuff on her clipboard. "First test: Administration of Pipradrol. Result: Effective emotion enhancement." She nodded towards one of the other men. "You may proceed."

One of the male nurses came up beside her, but she was having trouble focusing on his face. The ceiling was bursting with colors, while faces just seemed to be blurry. Why couldn't they just let her enjoy the colors?

"Subject 711-A549, can you hear me?" She giggled.

"Your voice sounds funny..." She slurred, closing her eyes gently. The man shook his head.

"Don't go to sleep, we still have things to talk about." She frowned, trying to remember what they had been saying before.

"About what?" She asked.

"About your illness."

I don't..." She started, eyes cracking open slightly as she tried to think. "I'm...not sick." She finished. "I'm fine, it's ok. Don't you worry about me." She reached out to pat his head in comfort but her arm wouldn't move.

"Liam, why is your hair brown?" She asked, frowning once again. Liam's hair was blonde, wasn't it? Why couldn't she seem to remember?

"Subj-Summer, I need you to listen to me." He tried getting her to focus, but she just wanted to sleep. He gently shook her shoulder. "We need to know what's making you sick. We can't help unless we know."