400 Years

"400 years." The spirit woman ground out, bringing her sword down with immense force, cracking and slicing through the polished marble floors. The blue-haired man sidestepped the attack. This only served to anger her further, and she yanked her weapon from the ground. "For 400 years I have hunted you, and my bloodlust has never waned."

"Your anger blinds you, Nemesis." The man said, frowning in equal irritation. She swung again, and this time he was forced to pull his own long sword from his back to block the blade to his neck. "Whatever quarrel caused this is meaningless now!"

She paused, heaving from exertion and unrestrained rage. "Quarrel? Meaningless!? How dare you!" With a yell, she disconnected their blades and thrust towards his stomach. He jumped back, knocking over the red sofa in the process.

"It would be nice to know what you think I've done!" For the first time, he fought back, aiming a glancing blow at her side, but she blocked. They stood toe to toe, blades locked with force.

"You toyed with my affections and tossed me aside for some mortal girl!"

The man looked confused for a moment, frowning deeply and looking to the side. He sighed deeply. "Is that what happened?"

Nemesis hesitated, too in shock to really understand what was being said. "What?" He took her moment of unbalance and struck from the side, she pushed away, but his blade grazed the side of her arm. She grunted, looking to see a thin line of blood form and begin to drip down her skin. She covered it with a hand, her anger intensifying.

"Explain what you mean." She demanded, watching him in anticipation. He scratched the back of his head, an almost sheepish expression on his face.

"Nemesis, it has been several centuries. How could you expect me to remember what happened so long ago? There've been so many women since then-" She snarled, lunging towards his person with a speed he couldn't match. Her sword impaled his left shoulder, and he grunted in pain.

"I was with child, Iapetus! Your child!" He grimaced, and she dug the blade into the wall behind him. He was pinned, held there by her sword. Huffing out a breath, he tried to raise his sword to her, but she knocked it away.

"You were? I don't remember." She about screamed, approaching his pinned body in a rush. She grabbed his neck, squeezing with everything she had.

"The life of my precious daughter was taken from me because of your insolence." She whispered vehemently, watching with sick pleasure as his face began to darken from lack of blood. A twisted grin met her lips, and she laughed darkly. "It is only fitting for you to lose yours by my hand."

In a burst of strength, Iapetus placed his foot on her chest, kicking her away and out of reach. The wind was knocked out of her, and he dislodged his body from her sword. It clattered to the ground, and he gripped his a little tighter. Blood flowed freely from the wound on his shoulder, but he payed it no heed.

"I do not see your reason to hate me so, but if you wish to duel, I will not hold back." He warned, but she was not swayed. Unable to use her sword, she reached for a single, decorative dagger strapped to her belt. Holding it up, she took a breath.

"I shall take pleasure in killing you, Iapetus."

~~~

Bepo watched the dueling spirits with anxiety. They were still shining, making it hard to see without squinting. Further away lay James, who was still unconscious as well. It was a bit shocking that the blue-haired spirit had come from inside of him, and it still confused the bear a great deal, but he was more concerned about Summer. Looking down at her in his arms, she hadn't moved since stepping foot in the room.