Chapter 33

Haruhi made a noise of discontent. "You sure got us," she mumbled. The twins, Haruhi, Class 1-A's rep, the girl from the Host Club, who I found out was Kurakano, and I stood in front of the Ouran Post where all the news was displayed about events or things of the like. Also, it was where people could get the newspaper, or at least read the front page that was tacked to the bulletin board. On there was a headline that said, "Everyone in Class 1-A is a Captain of All Cowards!" The main picture contained everyone staring up in fear at the shadow of Belzenef, and I was looking at the camera with my tongue sticking out. In a side picture next to the paragraph on how this major scare came to be, Nekozawa and I stood together, sharing ownership.

Hikaru frowned, "Nekozawa is such a jerk."

I smirked, "Actually, he's a great friend."

"Yeah, you can say that," he rolled his eyes. "He only helped you because he still likes you."

"Don't be jealous. He just likes to scare people. He wasn't going to turn it down," I shrugged indifferently.

Kaoru asked, "How did we not know that was Belzenef?"

I laughed, "Your adrenaline must have still been running rapid."

"As much as I hate to admit it, you got us good, Katashi," Hikaru sighed putting an arm around me.

"Yeah, if she can prank us, then she's definitely girlfriend material," his brother laughed. I blushed slightly, and Hikaru pecked my lips. "I guess the spell on the carriage can't last forever, after all."

Hikaru wondered, "What do you mean?"

Kaoru stopped and thought for a moment. Then, he said, "Well, since Katashi helped you find me in that situation, I suppose everything is all right. Maybe it really was a carriage, after all." In what situation? If it was containing me, the only thing I could really think of was the night before when I helped Hikaru save them. He didn't think I was going to take Hikaru from him, did he? He must have known I was going to be a bit more considerate than that. I mean, I was a twin, too. Then again, I knew they hadn't been around others too much growing up, and I was pretty sure I was Hikaru's first girlfriend. Even if I wasn't, they hadn't let people in enough for there to have been many before me. Maybe Kaoru wasn't sure what was going to happen.

I assured him, "You really don't have to worry about that." He looked a little surprised, but then he smiled at me. I returned the gesture.

Hikaru looked between us and asked, "What? Did I miss something?"

"Nothing, nothing! Just our own private joke! Let's get out of here!" Kaoru dismissed, grabbing Haruhi, Hikaru, and I and pushing us away from the board.

"Yeah, Tamaki is going to really excited to start the plans for the Ouran Fair. He'll have a fit if we make him wait," I replied, laughing, and everyone joined me since they knew I wasn't lying. My phone began to ring, so I took it out of my pocket. The number was unknown, but it was at least in Japan. Definitely not Eric. I answered it, "Hello?"

"Katashi, I need to speak with you," the voice on the other end replied. I froze for a moment, recognizing it in an instant.

Hikaru noticed my change immediately, "Hey, Katashi, is something wrong?"

I told my grandmother, "Of course. Please, give me a moment." I placed the receiver against my shoulder and said to Hikaru quietly, "I need to take this. I'll see you at the club if I don't catch up." Before he could say anything, I gave him a quick side kiss that caught the corner of his mouth before running off.

When I reached somewhere more private that I knew wouldn't be somewhere the hosts would look for me, I took a deep breath. My grandmother had never called me before. Something terrible happened, right? Was it something with Mama? Did she somehow find out about my engagement? She hadn't sounded angry, though.... Don't work yourself up! I chastised myself. After calming down, I put the phone against my ear. "I'm sorry about that. Is there something wrong?"

"I'm calling about Tamaki. Do you remember when I told you to get close to him?" she asked.

"Yes," I answered.

"And have you done that?" she continued.

I told her, "Yes, I have." Was it finally time to find out why I was sent to Japan? I had waited forever to find out. I could only imagine what importance it had to her. What would it do to Tamaki, though? Or to me? Mama?

She replied, "Good. It's time for you to be of some use. Is there anyone he is particularly fond of?" I narrowed my eye slightly at the question and kept from making any sound that would be considered remotely disrespectful.

"Tamaki has many friends. Is there someone specific?"

"I asked the simplest form of the question, Katashi. Has that school taught you nothing?" She sighed in irritation, and I stood there, feeling stupid. "Is there a girl he has interest in? Someone he cares much about?" she pressed.

I thought for a moment, "Besides myself, yes, there is one. Her name is Haruhi Fujioka, and she's working at the Host Club with us to pay off her debt after breaking a vase. He hasn't told me, and I'm not too sure he knows it himself, but I believe he cares deeply for her. I would go as far as to say that he loves her. Whether or not she feels the same, I really don't know."

"I'll remember that. Goodbye, Katashi," Grandmother said right before she ended the call. I frowned and looked at the phone. She hadn't even given me time to tell her about my engagement.

Was that really the only reason I was sent to Ouran? So I could tell her whom Tamaki liked? That didn't seem right. It was too simple for such a big ordeal. Suddenly, there was a bit of anger in me. She tore me away from my mother for that?

No, there was something bigger going on. I could feel it, and I really hoped I hadn't made a huge mistake by telling her about Haruhi.