Chapter 34

The day before the Ouran Fair was a lot like preparing for a major event, which I suppose it was to them. Every student pitched in to help plan things out or move things around, and workers were busy building, taking structures apart, and everything in between. I knew it had to take a lot of planning, or else it would have been a madhouse. Still, for my first time, it was a little stressing.

"Those curtains go to the central building salon, please. Oh, and be careful with them," I fretted.

"Of course, miss," the worker replied with a smile. At least, they were all nice. I had a feeling they were paid extra for that.

I sighed and looked around at all the boxes. Kaoru placed a hand on my shoulder and assured me, "Everything is going to go fine. Calm down a little."

I said, "It looks like a lot more than it is."

Haruhi spoke up, "Uh, aren't school fairs meant to be, I don't know, more about students proudly showcasing unique things they made by hand?"

Kyoya informed her, "Perhaps for a mere average school, yes, but at Ouran, the emphasis is on planning and leadership skills. Keep in mind: most of our students are being groomed in the position of leadership, so they're required to showcase talent for proper mobility, not arts and crafts."

"Oh," Haruhi mused. Which was why I was freaking out so much. Father told us Grandmother was going to be there, and I had to show her I was worth something other than a way for marriage. I could be helpful in other places of the business. There had to be a way to get her to see that. For once, I didn't feel hopeless. Maybe I had a shot.

My attention was brought elsewhere when a black and red horse-drawn carriage stopped in front of us. Mori and Hikaru had been driving it with Tamaki and Honey in the back. "Haru-chan!" Honey called, waving Usa-chan's arm.

"Climb on board! We're rehearsing for the big Ouran Fair Parade!" Tamaki smiled. Kyoya, Kaoru, Haruhi, and I climbed into the carriage. I sat next to Tamaki and Haruhi, across from Kyoya, Kaoru, and Honey. As the carriage rode around, we were getting a bunch of attention from girls, thinking the whole thing was romantic. I guess it would have been if we were alone with the guests, but it was nice to just hang around as friends.

I spoke up, "I had no clue you could drive a carriage, Hikaru."

Kaoru said, "You've gotten pretty good at this."

"There's nothing to it. You guys should have practiced with me earlier," Hikaru responded.

"Well, just because we're twins doesn't make both of us good drivers," his brother said.

"Yeah, I think I'll leave the driving up to you," I laughed.

Honey spoke up, "It's kind of neat having us all together like this for a carriage ride, huh?"