Chapter Six

"Aubrey really?" Nicki looked up at him with a smile. They had arrived at a street carnival Drake had passed by a couple of times. There was a Ferris Wheel, rides, games, ice skating, karaoke and bumper cars.

"What? I haven't been to a place like this since I was about five." He took off his seat belt and got out of the car after grabbing his jacket from the backseat and putting it on. Despite the cold weather, there were a lot of teens and families out, enjoying the carnival. "You're gonna be good out here right? It's pretty cold." he asked as he opened her door then unbuckled her seatbelt.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. It looks fun." she pressed her lips together, holding in a laugh.

"What's funny?" he helped her out of his car then shut the door and armed the alarm.

"Nothing, I just feel like a teenager all over again for some reason. Will you skate with me?" she looked past his shoulder and stood on the tips of her toes to see the other couples skating over the frozen lake.

"Of course I'll skate with you. Wanna go eat first?" he took her hand and they walked towards the admission stand where he bought tickets for them.

"Yes! I want a cheeseburger and fries with hot chocolate."

"Any room left for dessert?" he grabbed her hand again and they headed to the burger stand.

"Oh, cotton candy too." Nicki gave him the brightest smile he'd ever seen.

"I wasn't talking about food." he stopped behind a small family at the burger stand and kissed her softly.

"You just don't stop." Nicki laughed at him as he wrapped his arms around her. She laid her head on his shoulder. "Aubrey?"

"Yeah?" he rested his chin on her head and turned so she was in front of him. "Promise me no matter what I tell you that you won't judge me from my past."

"Why do you think I would do that?" he cupped her face, making her look at him.

"I don't think that. I just...I don't know. All of this...me and you, it seems too good to be true."

He smiled and kissed her forehead. "I'd never judge you and you make me feel the same way; like we're too good to be true. I remember a week or so ago, I was in a meeting and wasn't paying attention. Too busy thinking about you. I can't tell you the last thing I heard during that meeting and my dad practically threw me out of the conference room afterwards."

Nicki could tell from his voice that he was smiling without even having to look at him. "You think about me?"

"All the time. C'mon, we're next." he was about to let her go but she turned in his embrace so that her back was to his chest.

"Just a couple more minutes. You're really warm." she said before stepping up to the counter where he ordered their food.

~

"Andrea have you seen your brother? He's not answering the phone." Sandi asked as she walked into the kitchen, her silk robe flying behind her.

"He's a grown man mom." Andrea fought the urge to roll her eyes as she poured herself a cup of water. Her mother was her favorite woman in the world but she hated how she constantly had to keep tabs on her and her siblings' personal lives

"That's not what I asked you. Anyway, so the girls and I plan on having a date auction ball in two weeks for Valentine's day...I want you to come. You never come to any of my functions."

"Because I don't want to. I'm not Ashley and I'm not your social club friends. I don't like getting dressed up and befriending people just to make monetary connections with potential clients." Andrea put her cup in the sink and was about to walk off when she heard her mother laughing, making her stop in her tracks.