*Chapter 3*

Harry listened closely as Dumbledore explained the ins and outs of courting.

Harry stared at Dumbledore. "You want me to date my professor?" Harry was too shocked to be angry at the request. Dumbledore shook his head. "That seems to be the only thing people hear. I want you to court your professor. It will provide extra protection for you. Severus is very powerful and he is close to Voldemort. He can protect you better than I can," Dumbledore explained. Snape felt warm, No one has ever thought highly of him. Harry paced while Remus was quiet. He didn't want to speak until everything was fully explained. "But he hates me!" Harry shouted suddenly. Snape touched Harry's shoulder to make him stop and look at him. "You act without thinking. You make assumption. You try to be a hero. You think you're the exception to the rules. Sometimes, you're unbearable," Severus told him. Harry wanted to interrupt but Snape said, "You're also kind. You truly care for your friends. You're brave. Harry, I don't hate you. Not at all." Snape finished and they all stared openly at him. Snape never revealed so much. "Its your choice Harry," Dumbledore reminds him. Harry looks down. Snape can see him thinking and he finds himself hoping for Harry to say yes. Then he does. Harry begins to nod and Snape feels a mixture of joy and dread. Dumbledore grins as if he knew this would happen. "Great!" Dumbledore reached into his robes for the rings he chose. Finally Remus speaks up. "Albus, this is extremely risky. If the dark Lord was to find out about this... Harry will feel what Severus feels. Harry will know every time the mark burns. He'll feel it! Voldemort will be able to use this."
"The benefit outweighs the risk. The only people who know about this is the four of us and I trust us all. Voldemort cannot access Severus's mind and is terrified of Harry's. No two people could create a better bond!" Dumbledore handed them each a ring. "Now, wearing these rings will mark your bonds. You'll always know where the other is. You'll know when one is in pain. Emotionally and physically. You'll be able to communicate through your thoughts when you want. You will only hear each other's thoughts when you want." Dumbledore made sure each person was clear with the ins and outs of courting. "Harry, please take Severus' hand." Harry reached for Snape's hand and was surprised by the wave of warmth that spread through his chest. Severus couldn't believe how soft and homely his hand felt against his. Dumbledore casted the spell and the two were bonded.

Harry could feel Snape's fatigue. It was like a dull ache in the back of his mind. It would be easy to ignore but he didn't want to ignore it. It was obvious Snape wasn't taking care of himself. Snape wasn't the only one who was not okay. Snape could feel all the guilt and pain and anger that weighed down on him. He suddenly realized how thin Harry was and how broken he was. They were both aware of their hands still intertwined together. Neither felt the need to let go. Not because they were bonded. No, this was deeper. Harry finally realized how hurt Snape seemed to be. Severus finally saw how hard everything hit Harry.

They wanted to protect each other. So they didn't let go. They kept their hands intertwined.

I am so sorry. Harry let the thought slip into Snape's mind. He was sorry about thinking the worst of him.
I am the one who should be sorry. Snape responded. So sorry.

Thinking felt too intimate. Harry decided to speak. "I never realized-" He started but Snape shook his head at him. "You don't need to worry about me." Snape finally let go of Harry's hand. "Worry about yourself." But Harry was worried. Severus felt like a friend. Harry cared for his friends. Harry decided not to respond. "I think you both need some time alone together," Dumbledore decided. He turned turned to leave, Remus following. "Happy birthday Harry," With that, the old wizard walked back to the Burrow.

A/N: :P