Chapter Nineteen: Original Plan

A/N: Hello!

So I woke up with 256 notifications because you're all god dang crazy and rereading the story or something! Thanks for the support, guys. It's really gosh darn awesome.

This ending I decided to write as a thank you. It's what I was originally planning on making the ending of this book, so I would appreciate your thoughts on that.

Thanks again.

Signing out!
~Link

~~~~

Silence surrounded the rather large room, with everyone nervously glancing at each other. A collective sigh of relief sounded at the fact that everyone was safe, echoing throughout the room.

"What?" Mikami questioned, looking at the Death Note, "Why doesn't it work?! Why aren't you all dead?!"

"May I have the notebook, Mikami?" Asked Near, who's task force member then confiscated it from him, "This is a fake. I copied the original, and replaced it with this... Now we can see who Kira really is." A confident smirk spread upon his lips, but it soon faltered as he opened it, "You... Wrote no one down?"

The only response Near got was a mischievous laugh, which then turned frantic. Clearly, the man had lost his mind. One if Near's henchmen grabbed Mikami, asking why nothing was written down. He responded with only one chilling phrase, "I still have my orders from God."

Everyone looked at each other curiously, cautiously- trying to spot a sign or signal of who Kira was.

"Law, does this mean..?" You gripped his shirt slightly, staring at Mikami.

L gently wrapped his arm around you, and softly kissed your cheek, "It's alright. Nothing will happen to you. I promise."

"L... I love you."

"I love you too, [Y/N]."

Minutes passed of everyone stood in silence. No one felt pain or, well, anything but anxiety. It was almost as though Kira was toying with the task forces, as nothing happened and there was no clues as to who Kira was.

"I... Apologise, L-sama," Near bowed his head, ashamed. "It seems Kira already knew my plan. I apologise for wasting your time."

"No, we have Mikami now," L shook his head, looking at the distraught man. "He can perhaps tell us more."

"Perhaps indeed," Near nodded, before he looked at his men. "We leave Mikami in L's hands. Now we leave, back to the drawing board."

Mello scoffed, rolling his eyes, "What a waste of time." He turned around, and left quickly. Clearly he still hated being around Near, but was somewhat amused that he had failed. Not too far behind him leaving was Near's task force, who was allowing Matsuda to look at the notebook as he escorted them out.

"B-but... My God, why would you do this?!" Mikami screamed into the air, squirming around. The abandoned male began to sob aloud, that is until he clutched his chest. Everyone froze, staring at Mikami who was the next victim of Kira, who was squirming and crying and cursing alike. Eventually his body fell limp, and silent.

The members of the task force suddenly gripped their chests as well- the only ones who didn't were you, L and Light. It was then that the other members dropped to their knees, their eyes widened, their faces full of agony, before they flopped like a fish, dead.

L stared at his task force, pure confusion tackling his face. He looked up at Light, who was by now laughing manically, seemingly overjoyed at how he had won... At how he was Kira. Lost for words, L merely gripped tighter to you, in which made Light laugh harder.