Chapter Nine: Back to Basics

Unable to sleep that night, you stayed up all night looking over the case file. You've got to be missing something... Anything.

What have I missed? There has got to be something... Start from the beginning- Kira killed the suspect in Shunjuku... That's where it began it appears meaning he hasn't been killing long- we know this. The killers were all broadcast on TV, the internet or some other form of media but then he started to know about the case meaning he had access to the policing files. The police and their families were watched and we got nothing.

You place a lollipop in your mouth, typing away about the facts you already know.

Kira has to be smart which is what lead L to have Light as the first and most obvious suspect... He was followed by Raye Penber I believe who ended up dead. Of course, this could have merely been a coincidence. We learned that Kira was a student and straight away we learned that he had access to police information as he changed his timing- again implicating Light... But what if it isn't about the hints he dropped but the people he killed.

~~~~

"Good morning, [Y/N]." Light chirps.

"Morning..." You groan, exhausted.

He chuckles, watching you, "Someone didn't have a good night sleep, ey?"

Bringing out some milk from the fridge, you look at him, "I was up all night reevaluating the case."

"Find anything?" L asks, walking into the apartment.

Preparing some cereal, you nod, "Yes. I have a slight theory."

Light and L look at each other before looking at you, "What is it?"

"Well," You begin, "turns out that some of the victims were either CEOs of major companies or were heirs to companies- of course they were also criminals. I thought about it for a while; what if Kira is the CEO of a company wiping out his competition."

L nods, impressed. "Nice work. But why go to such lengths?" Light asks.

"Could be they're wiping out the competition for more business and also they can buy that company to gain their profits too." L speculates.

"Exactly my thoughts." You sigh before eating your cereal.

Light makes himself some cereal before asking, "What company benefits most from this?"

L picks up the case file I made and reads the statistics, "According to recent surveys, the Yotsuba company."

"Well alright then, shall we head to HQ and start surveillance?" You ask, grabbing your bag.

The sound of metal clanging together draws your attention to L, "Well we have a problem," He begins, "Light is still a suspect and some murders have been too coincidental for my liking... So this is the only way I can allow him to continue in this case."

"Alright, Ryuzaki. If you wanted to be close to me so badly you could have just asked." Light winks at L as he handcuffs himself to him. "I mean, I knew you had a crush on me."

You chuckle before replying, "Aww, you two are such a cute couple." you wink.

"Shut it, it has to be done."

~~~~

Upon arriving at the HQ building, you jump in one of the big, leather chairs and spin on it. Light chuckles at you as L dives straight into work. Beginning to work, all three of you stay silent until L decides on a plan to infiltrate the company.

"I have a plan..." L mumbles, unlocking the handcuffs connecting him to Light.

~~~~Narrator's POV~~~~