Going The Distance

So it’s been four years since Ryan and I dated, but I know you don’t really care. So yea, it’s great to see you guys again. Throughout these four years, Pontius has finally crossed Ryan from his blacklist. A weight from the shoulders has been lifted; no one hates each other’s guts anymore. Isom is perfectly healthy now and that deserved a huge sigh of relief. Everything went back to what life should be, just like what I expected. I was still amazed that Ryan stood up in front of Pontius and Cubbie that day. The things that he said was somehow true but a little bit exaggerated. One of Ryan’s skill, he likes to ask rhetorical questions and prefers a direct address or personal testimony. He should be a motivational speaker instead of a doctor.

            Not all good things happen to us. Sometimes we have to deal with the fact that life can rip you into a million pieces and it will do it again. I had to make a sacrifice and so did Ryan. No, we didn’t break up but it was something else. It was as if our relationship was being put into a test. One day, he called me and asked me if I could come to his house. Of course I can, why wouldn’t I? But he won’t tell me why; he just said to come as soon as possible. I started to get worried that he might be keeping something from me. He sounded really lost and confused on the phone, so I wiggled my skinny jeans on and drove to his house.

            It was a short drive to his house as the traffic was quite today. I kept on trying to guess on why he sounded so lost and confused. Why he wanted me to come to his house. He was sitting on the front step outside his house when I pulled over. He had his forehead propped on his hands and his elbows pressing his knees. I got out of the car and slowly approached him and sat carefully next to him, “Are you okay?” I asked, wrapping my arm around him.

            He lifted his head up and smiled halfheartedly, “Yea, I’m okay.”

            “Why the ridiculously grouchy face?”

            He cackled, “You mean ridiculously handsome?”

            “Yea, I found myself prince charming.” I rolled my eyes and kissed his cheek, “Come on now, lose the face.”

            He grinned and stood up, “Come on, let’s get inside.”

            I took his hand and was pulled up, “Yes, sir!”

            He opened the door and brought me to the living room, where his parents were sitting. The atmosphere became so awkward that I nearly died. His parents were on the edge of their seats glancing nervously at Ryan and then me and then Ryan again and so on. “Hey, guys.” I finally broke the awkward silence,

            “Hey, Ally.” Ryan’s mom greeted,

            “So what brings you here?” His dad asked,

            “I don’t know.” I shrugged, “Ryan called and told me to come here, so here I am.”

            “Yea, I want to ask you guys something.” Ryan awkwardly scratched the back of his neck, “Something really, uh, important.”

            “What’s wrong, son?”

            “Nothing’s wrong, dad.” He trailed,

            I flopped next to Ryan’s dad, who was as confused as me. “How’s Isom?” He asked,

            “He’s doing good, I guess.” I replied,

            “Good to hear.” He nodded, “How’s Sean?”

            “He’s still… Yea…”