Surprise

The next day, Andy and I drove Riley and Stella to the airport. I helped Riley get the bags out while Andy holds Stella. It was slightly heartbreaking to see Stella. Her little fists refused to let go of her father’s shirt and her little head stubbornly rested on his shoulder blade. It was as if she knew that she was leaving her daddy but has no clue why. They have a connection that I think my dad and I used to have. It’s a natural thing. I said my goodbyes to Stella and Riley, leaving Andy behind. He insisted and said that he would hail a cab. He told me to do the second phase of the prank.

            I drove straight to their studio from the airport. Next to me in the passenger seat, lie six envelopes that had our names written on each one. This is the second best part of the prank, the best one is obviously the last one as always. While I was driving there I called Pontius, “Pontius.”

            “Ally? Why did you disappear into thin air?” He sounded like he was having a hangover and really cranky, “Where are you now? I want to see you and smack you in the face!”

            “No time to explain! Get your drunk butts down to the studio right now!”        

           “What?”

            “All of you, right now.” And then I hung up. I still have to look and sound pissed at them for a better effect. I got to the studio and went straight to their audio room. I was getting excited. I mean, really. I flopped on one of the chairs and lifted my feet up to the table. Then I waited quietly. The door opened and I startled, but it wasn’t them. It was the security,

            “What are you doing here, kid? It’s their day off today. They’re probably still asleep with a hangover.”

            “It’s a prank, Mike.” I simply said, “They’re on their way here.”

“What prank?”

“The ultimate prank.”

“The one that-”

“Yea, that one. Now, go before they get here!”

            He chuckled and shook his head, “Okay, I’m sorry. Good luck!”

            “Thanks!” I replied as he closed the door. I waited a little longer until I heard loud footsteps pacing quickly. As expected, the door bursts open and all eyes were on me. There was this awkward deadly silence but Cubbie quickly broke it,

            “Where have you been? We’ve been looking all over for you! We were getting worried! I don’t know what I did wrong, but I’m sorry for whatever it is!”

            “What is wrong with you?” Sean exclaimed, "Are you crazy?"

            “We even asked your brother, you know that? And he doesn’t even know what’s going on!” Pontius added, “What IS going on?”

            “Sit.” I pointed at the chairs. They dragged their chairs closer to the table and sat,

            “Is everything okay?” Cubbie asked softly, “Talk to me, kid. I really have no clue and I'm worried.”

            I put my feet down and stood up, their eyes following my every movement. I glanced at them with glassy eyes as they stared back at me with worry. I pulled the envelopes from my back and chucked it to the center of the table. No words were said, and no words were needed to be said anyways.

            “What’s this?” Pontius took the envelope and distributed it according to their names.  They opened the envelope slowly but surely and pulled it out. It took a thousand years for them to skim through it. I remained awkwardly standing and waiting for the old men to read through those papers.