Mark Pontius

My eyes squinted as I was awoken by the blinding morning sunlight. I even needed to use my hand to protect my eyes. I regret not closing the shades last night. I stayed there for a while and replayed the things that happened last night as my eyes adjusted to the light. Then I felt Nate move a little, burying his face deep into my shoulder as to protect his eyes from the sun. “Had a good night sleep?”

            He nodded without even bothering to look up, “I like your story.”

            I smiled, “Thanks.”

            “How come you never tell me a story?”

            “Because that’s your dad’s job, isn’t it? It’s always him who tell you his cool stories.”

            He turned and blinked slowly, “That’s true.” He smiled sheepishly. He then sat up and stared blankly at me.

            I sat up and smiled back at his glassy eyes, “Do you want it?”

            “Want what?”

            I took his hand and placed the replica of dad’s masterpiece, “You can keep it.”

            “But it’s your daddy’s and yours too.”

            “And now, it’s yours.”

            “Won’t your daddy be sad that you’re giving this away?”

            My heart kind of plummeted a little, “No, he’s not going to sad. It’s okay, he wants to share it with you. I want to share it with you.”

            “You really want to give this to me?” He grinned excitedly,

            I nodded, “I want you to have it so you could see the stars like I used to.”

            He looked down at the flashlight, “I can’t wait to show daddy!”

            Andy came bursting in, “Ally, I thought you were kidnapped for real!”

            I snorted, “Why would anyone kidnap me?”

            “Don’t go rhetorical on me.” He warned,

            I snorted and flicked my eyebrows, “Yea, okay.”

            He remained frozen for an awkward minute. I studied on what he was looking at and smiled. He sadly smiled back at me, as if he knew what happened last night. I think he zoned out for a while, but he was able to snap back to reality. “Come on, let’s break Pontius’s heart.”

            “What are you making him do? And is ‘breaking hearts’ suitable for this kind of activity? Aren’t ‘breaking hearts’ too mean?”                       

            “It’s not only going to break his heart, but his brain too.” He smirked,

            “What are you going to do to him?”

            “Let’s see how tough he is.” He smirked evilly, “Have you photocopied it?”

            I nodded, “Yea, I did.”

            “Then you know what I’ll make him do.”

            “Yea, I know how that mind of yours work.” I rolled my eyes, “Have you called him yet?”