four

the quiet tranquility of the cold night shattered suddenly, with the buzzing of lucien's phone against the wood of his bedside table. rubbing his eyes tiredly, he glanced at the caller id and sighed. slender fingers gripped against the mattress and his nails dug into the covers.

"hello?"

"hey lu," the feminine voice on the other side of the line greeted him warmly, a hint of hesitation apparent in her masked worried voice.

"ce que vous appelons concernant?"

"cela fait longtemps. ponvons-nous parler?" the sound of her voice clenched lucien's stomach and the multitude of butterflies beat their wings against the sides of his stomach, making him gag. don't sound like everything's alright, because it's not. don't even call me by my nickname anymore, thought lucien viciously as he grabbed his phone more tightly. he was sure his nails were digging holes into his blankets.

"comment vous et lui est?" the relief in her voice told lucien she believed everything was alright.

where in the harsh reality, everything was slowly falling apart.

without a further word, the person on the other side of the line hung up with a surprised yelp, leaving lucien to his leaking eyes and rumpled sheets.

before the tears could start falling, he abandoned all idea of sleeping and sauntered out to the moonlit balcony, lighting up a slightly soggy cigarette and noticing the shadow standing alone at the bottom.

lucien shook his head. he wasn't going to bother himself with anyone who was awake at this time of day.

"oi, spy! you there!" a faint whisper went up into lucien's ears, grabbing his divided attention and a hand up to his wet eyes.

"what do you want at this time of day?" there was no masking the acid behind his not-so-great attempt to keep civil.

"just come down and stop bloody smoking!" 

~~~

"hold on, are you crying?"

"non."

"no idea what that means, so i'm just gonna assume that means yes." lucien shot the red sniper a quick glare, before his mind got the better of him.

"what are you doing here?"

the question caught willy off guard and he rubbed the back of his neck nervously. if it wasn't for his self-discipline, lucien would've shot him a few dozen questions by now.

"well?"

"just follow me!" willy ignored the pressing question and turned away quickly, an unreadable expression on his face.

within seconds, lucien was on the ground in a ironed suit and tie, bewildered thoughts filling his mind.

"bushman, where are you taking me?"
the only sound among the two of them was the chirping of crickets and the occasional gust of cold wind. lucien shivered, wishing he'd brought his jacket along.

"get inside the van," was the only words that came from willy's mouth.

raising an eyebrow, lucien hopped inside the old van.

---
"you haven't said anything throughout the whole trip. are you sure you're not kidnapping me?"

"goddamnit mate, why the hell would i want to kidnap you? you've asked this bloody question the whole trip!"

"who knows what motives you have up your sleeve? for all i know, you might be setting up a trap for me..." willy groaned. this spy sure knew how to talk his poor ears off. he sunk into his seat, quietly wishing he'd get there sooner.

driving past the stony cliff face, he sighed in relief. finally! he jumped out of his seat excitedly, almost banging his head against the ceiling of the van.
---
it was just as he'd remembered it. starry skies, moonlit night...the nostalgia came flooding back to willy. even the scenery had lucien awestruck and quiet, for once.

"so, are you convinced i won't be kidnapping you? huh?" willy stated, rather annoyingly.

staring at the stars plastered across the sky like paint on a canvas, lucien sat down on the soft grass.

willy couldn't contemplate what the hell lucien was thinking. was he happy? sad? mentally deranged? he ignored the last thought and sat next to lucien, hugging his knees close to his body.

"why did you bring me here?"

the one question brought the peace and serenity to a standstill. 

"well, i thought you'd like it." willy answered lamely, smiling nervously towards the night sky.

"couldn't you bring the others here?"

'the others' meant the rest of the red team, who were probably sleeping or being drunk off their asses right now. 

"the only person i thought would be suitable was you. call me bloody crazy, but yeah, that's the reason."

a light red hue covered both the mercenaries' faces, contrasting the pale beige skin of willy's and covered by lucien's balaclava.

"so...now what?"

"what do you mean?"

"since we're here already, what do we do?" lucien wished he'd brought his cigarette case with him. he could really go for a stress smoking session right now. 

"i guess we could go back to base."

---
lucien insisted on driving, since he thought it was only right to do so.

he stopped the van in front of the red base, getting out and creaking the door shut.

"thanks for tonight. i...really appreciate it."

before lucien could walk away, willy held his arm forcefully, pulling him forward and crashing his lips onto his. lucien's eyes widened, the same blush covering the tips of his ears.

"wha--" and with that, willy was gone.
on the way back to the blu base, lucien stumbled a few times, almost falling over. he wasn't concentrating on walking, his mind preoccupied with the kiss the red sniper gave him.

"lucien? where have you been? the entire team was out looking for you." the blu team literally jumped up at the sight of the spy, their eyes filled with worry.

"i was...settling some business. taking care of something."

lucien scrambled up the stairs, slamming his door shut.

"well, that's a first. i've never seen him so flustered before."