eight

willy looked out at the rolling desert scenery, thoughts clouding his mind. 

when was the last time he'd ever been this distracted?

he drove over the tumbling rocks and stuck to the dusty road, saguaros standing still like sentries. 

why was something like this happening?

a cliff rose up ahead of him, a mess of red and rock mashed together in one huge structure.

was he still a professional? an assassin?

his mind went back to the first time he felt like stabbing the blue spy in his back, so he could have a taste of his own medicine. god, he was just so annoying! 

wasn't that supposed to be the main feeling between opposing teams in war?

reversing the van in parking position, he got out and slammed the door, his vest flying with the humid wind. he resisted the urge to bash his head in so he could get rid of his contradicting thoughts.

the sun was slipping down, making the surroundings dim and the stars to appear.

willy let out an angry sigh, eager to let his feelings go. maybe the star gazing would help this time.

"stargazing isn't going to help, willy." he spun round, meeting the familiar figure of his team's spy.

maybe it was being a loner that he felt he could relate to him.

"what are you doing here?"

"stargazing," he answered, almost rhetorically.

"don't pull that bullshit on me."

the other man chuckled, crossing his arms in a position of authority.

"do you love him?"

"w-what?"

"you know who i'm talking about here."

willy threw a rock across him, sending it rolling down the cliff.

"look, i don't think i'm supposed to be in contact with any person from the enemy team..."

"oh please. what about that day where you saved him from drowning? don't even let me mention the flowers."

"how would you know?"

"being one of the best spies in the world-" this made willy roll his eyes- "i take it upon myself to leech stray information whenever possible." the spy took out a cigarette, lighting it with a stray lighter.

"like hunting in trashcans?"

"yes, sometimes that too."

willy snorted, punching his friend playfully in the shoulder. he was feeling a bit better already.

"you haven't answered my question."

"do i have to?" willy whined, the playfulness obvious in his voice.

"yes," he retorted back, taking a long drag from his cigarette.

"well, i-i kinda feel different around him and my heart speeds up--"

"sometime today, please."

"shut up. when did you get so nosy in my affairs?" willy retaliated, his cheeks reddening.

"since i saw you kiss him," he smirked, earning a incredulous expression from his friend.

"i-what-you just--"

"it's been going around for a long time, willy. how have you not known?"

sometimes, willy hated his friend's guts. this was one of those moments.

"putting aside the fact that you're not supposed to poke into my bloody affairs, how did you get here?"

"simple. me and tavish followed your van up the cliff," he pointed to a waving and smiling tavish at the back, who seemed really satisfied with himself. 

"you bloody wankers! seriously, don't do that next time."

"whatever you say, lad," tavish replied.

willy couldn't help but grin. his friends really knew how to cheer him up.