five

the figure sat hunched in the dark, a fedora sitting atop his matted hair. in front of him was a television screen, fixed on two figures sharing a intimate moment together.

except, their uniforms were of the opposing teams, of which they were supposed to kill each other on sight.

"i believe you know who they are, don't you?"

"yes, ma'am." the figure whispered into a walkie-talkie, a golden pistol clutched in his callused hands. he got up, the fedora covering his eyes and a nasty scar across his forehead.

"good. you better don't fail me this time." the woman on the other side of the line whispered back, hanging up with a simple click sound.

the figure looked around furtively.

this was the place he was supposed to deposit the pistol and the note, yet he felt guilty as hell.

he himself used to be in a forbidden relationship, which ended up in a dire situation and tears. his conscience was burning holes into his heart.

finally, he couldn't take it anymore.

without another word, he sprinted away, carelessly leaving the fedora behind and revealing his appearance.

the figure, also known as the ex-blu spy, had tears streaming down his face. there was a goatee hanging from his chin, yet he had renewed vigour from all of the backstabbing he'd done in his past years.

with a cigarette still burning tobacco, he drove a knife through his heart, the australium pistol clattering to the floor.

---
he buried his face in his hands, the familiar shade of red dusting his complexion.

willy wasn't sure what he'd done earlier. hell, someone could have seen him! what if he had done something hidden in plain sight and someone actually saw it? there were so many security cameras around the place, increasing the chance of him being found out.

his heart jumped every now and then in his chest. this was the first time he ever felt so alive, so satisfied, what with all that happened in the past.

willy glanced towards the calendar.

today was the 13th of february, exactly one day before the renowned valentine's day fell on february 14.

and for some strange reason, it was snowing as well.

willy shrugged, brushing off the thought about strange weather patterns. he had other important things to think about.

staring blankly at the pouring rain, he creaked open his van door and stepped out.

he had some thinking and preferably, some killing to do.

zooming in on an oblivious hare nibbling on some grass, he pulled the trigger and jerked the rifle back.

the bullet went past the hare, catching its attention slightly.

ignoring the familiar numbness of his bruised thumb, he reloaded and shot again.

the sharp glinter of the rain fell down on his broad shoulders, grating to the ears and soaking his crumpled shirt.

willy lowered his head, hurt and confused. usually he would be able to kill a moving target within seconds. what was happening now?

"what da hell are ya doin' here, lad? you're gonna catch a bloody cold!" the surprised voice of tavish degroot jolted willy out of his reverie, forcing him to look up at the sweaty face.

the red demoman was carrying an umbrella, holding it above willy's head and shielding him from the merciless rain.

"i'm tryin' to kill something. leave me alone, tav." willy pushed tavish away.

"oi, will! what's ya problem, lad?"

a 'hmph' sound produced from the sniper's throat, but other than that there was no response.

"a'ight, if you're gonna be so stubborn i'm sittin' here with you."

tavish sat on a flat rock beside the concentrating sniper, only to jump up again and swear at the rock.

willy threw down his sniper rifle in disgust, jolting tavish out of his rock-swearing reverie.

"why's everyone gonna be so fucking annoying? i'm just trying to catch a bloody break from whatever happened earlier!" he shouted, his voice cracking with anger. this only worried tavish more.

the demoman placed a reassuring hand on his friend's shoulder and sighed. "whatever's buggin' you, you better tell me."

---
white.

white snowflakes fell down in droves, painting the landscape a white picture. the trees were a ridiculous white and the sky was white.

the only thing that contrasted all the white was willy's hot ears and his red uniform, together with tavish's skin.

"so you're tellin' me, you brought him to the cliffside to watch constellations and then kissed him?"

the sentences that came out of tavish's mouth brought a morbid shade of red to the tips of willy's ears.

"but he's a blu mercenary! even if you stay really quiet, the cat's gonna be let out of the bag sooner or later! not to mention this is forbidden."

willy was neither a dangerous person, nor did he engage in dangerous activities. all this however, increased his heart rate and swiped red over his face.

"you think i don't know that?" willy retorted, his eyebrows furrowing furiously.

"well...have you confessed yet?" tavish smirked lightly, earning a punch to his shoulder.

"are you insane?! he probably hates me by now."

"well at least give it a shot. you won't know if you try."