nine

willy tossed and turned in his bed, cold sweat wetting the mattress. he'd been like that for almost an hour, and he was beginning to feel rather cramped. he let out an uncomfortable groan, getting up only to feel the cold wind overwhelm him like a slap across the face. it was ages since he had insomnia, and he thought about eating sleeping pills.

instead, he got up and sat there in a daze, but not before hearing hushed whispers just right outside his door.

he pressed his ear against the wooden surface, trying to make out what was going on outside.

"you think we should tell him?"

"it's for the best."

the two voices were rather melancholy, and willy was starting to get concerned. tell what?

as he expected, the door opened.

"might as well knock. come on, i haven't got all bloody day." willy said, still irritable from the lack of sleep.

tavish and mikhail looked at each other, not sure whether to break the news.

"look lad, it's your...parents. we got the news that they were caught in a fire and they...didn't make it."

willy snapped out of his daze instantly. he could have sworn his heart skipped a beat.

"they...what?" willy murmured, clenching the side of the bed.

without even offering any consolation, the two mercenaries left the room, shoulders sagging from fatigue.

---

"hey, have you heard? we'll be fighting robots now!"

"robots? out of the question! in this country we fight men, not scraps of metal!" jane retorted, adjusting his helmet.

"there's a side to it though: only six of us and the enemy team will be chosen for a specific round. only the best will be chosen for the most difficult round."

"sounds complicated. who you think will be chosen?"

lucien leaned against the wall, smoking a cigarette. occasionally, he joined in the discussion but most of time he kept quiet.

he needed some time alone to think.

his silence was interrupted by a rap at the door. since everyone was busy talking, he got up and opened the door.

the red demoman stood there, smiling sheepishly.

"yes?" lucien raised an eyebrow.

"think you could do me a favour? since we'll be joining teams and all soon..."

"what favour?"

"you see...after what happened to his parents, willy refuses to come out of his van and talk to us."

"and how am i supposed to help?"

"maybe you could...get him out of there?"

"what happened to his parents?"

the frown on the demoman's face told lucien everything.

"i'm sure the person he wants to see the least would be me. please do it yourself." lucien closed the door, but tavish stopped it in time.

"please lad. he needs you." tavish pleaded, smiling when lucien finally opened the door.

"fine." he relented, sighing and taking the short trip to willy's van.

he stopped in front of the back doors, his heart pounding. why did he agree to do this? he wanted nothing to do with willy, especially after what happened a few weeks ago.

lucien gathered up his courage and knocked, getting no response from the inside.

"willy?" he knocked again, only to catch a glimpse of the inside.

he forced the door open, only to find willy passed out on the floor with numerous beer bottles by the side.

"willy!" lucien rushed to his side, shaking his shoulders. he gasped in horror when he saw the pill bottles lying on the floor. his blood ran cold.

he picked willy up from the floor and rushed him to the medic's room, who dropped his equipment once he barged inside.

"wait outside." he ordered.

~~~

the minutes crept by, with lucien leaning against the wall.

what is wrong with you? just because your parents passed away unexpectantly, you have to kill yourself? he thought angrily, slamming his fist against the wall.

before he could continue, the medic stepped out of the room, a look of relief on his face.

lucien entered the room, only to find willy with his back facing him.

"willy..."

"don't talk to me," he snapped acidly, a grim look on his face. he was sitting on the white bed, his back full of scars from previous accidents that lucien had no idea of. 

"fine, i didn't want to anyway." lucien walked away in a huff, adjusting his mask on the way. if willy didn't want to talk to him, so be it. he was just making sure the sniper didn't kill himself. 

right?