seven

if you're wondering, i'm not writing this to get attention. i'm just having fun :D

-atomic
---
lucien's pov

"he's drunk? already?"

"look at him mate, he's not even walking properly! how do you expect him to be sober?"

"well, it was worth a try."

the deep voices of the red team were nothing but blurry sentences to me. i stumbled, almost falling right off the fence and into the sea. i caught myself in time, though. by grabbing the metal fence. i stumbled to the left and bumped into a stranger, who must have been as drunk as me since he threw a dented beer can at my face. or was it dented after it hit my face?

an inebriated smirk found its way onto my face and expressed itself with some colourful language, "which of you assholes are sober? i'd bet none of yall." was what came stumbling out of my drooling mouth. rainbows and unicorns ran across my line of sight, blurring the pier and its murky waters.

wow, i thought confusedly. am i our team's pyro now? i think i see a six-year-old girl's imagination.

before you start blaming me for my atrocious manners, i was too drunk to care about my 'posture' or whatever. don't think that i fell right into the dirty waters of the dock, because that's what i did not do. don't think that i giggled right after i fell, because that is not what i did.

no.

who am i kidding? being an 'avid' swimmer, i had zero experience in staying above the water and generally, not drowning. my cries of help went unanswered, as all of the red mercenaries were frozen stiff with shock. however, the water sobered me up though.

just then, the person whom i did not want to talk to at the moment jumped in like a headless cockroach and grabbed my flailing arms, dragging me to the beach in the process. spluttering out water, i coughed vigorously and kept quiet the rest of the way back to the bases, embarrassment burning under my balaclava. this was already a ruined night and i did not want any further shame to my tarnished reputation. luckily, my mask hid the most of it.

i limped back to the blu base, ignoring the stares of the other blu mercenaries and running the hot shower. i must have spent thirty seconds before an audible knock broke the peace and serenity. wrenching open the door, i growled under my breath, "yes?"

the red sniper was standing right in the doorway, smiling sheepishly to himself. i brought a hand to my forehead, slapping it. 

"what do you want this time?"

he gulped, taken aback by my gruff voice and hopefully leaving soon. undaunted, he nuzzled the back of his neck and apologised.

"look, i'm sorry for what happened last time, okay? i was too...rash in my actions. i wasn't thinking that straight." i rolled my eyes. had he had enough yet?

"i don't care about 'last time', mon cher. it was probably an innocent mistake. now, could you please leave so i can relax for once?" i snapped the last sentence, frowning from the recent event and slamming the door right in his shocked face.

in normal situations, i would have been apologising. but this was not a normal situation.

willy's pov

i must have been staring at the door for too long as the blu soldier came along and almost blew me up with a rocket launcher. i quickly apologised, retreating out of the corridor and into the red base.

on my way back, i threw the flowers i hid behind my back into the trashcan, walking up the stairs and tripping over some of them.

"eh sniper! what's gotten into ya? you've been like that ever since we came back."

"yeah dude, you look like a kicked puppy. what's wrong?"

i sighed, sinking down into a wooden bench right beside tavish and ignored his concerned expression.

"agh...you wouldn't understand." i finally blurted out, ending the uncomfortable silence.

"don't try to deny anything, will. everyone knows you have a thing for the blu spy."

i turned towards the smirking expressions on their faces and grumbled. nothing could be kept from their meddling noses.

"even then, it's just a silly ol' infatuation thing going on. it'll be over in a tick." i explained, tapping my finger on the table repeatedly out of boredom. anything to keep myself distracted.

"over in a tick? man, it isn't that easy. this kind of thing is just going to keep happening and happening and happening." the engineer chuckled, pointing towards the flowers in the trashcan.

"stay out of my bloody business." throwing down a sentence, i retreated to my room and flopped onto the bed, falling asleep once my head hit the pillow.