2.4

{Delilah}.

Perhaps the stress of everything was getting too much for him, or maybe he was just tired of feeling the way he was, but after he had finished speaking, I could tell that he couldn't go on much longer.

I didn't quite understand the concept, nor did I think there was a logical understanding for what it was, but somehow; there I was so depressed and ready to give up on everything - relying on Luke to help me get through each day as Calum and I drifted further and further apart. I was beyond broken and it seemed that I couldn't be strong anymore, yet when the situation was reversed - when it was Luke who seemed the more broken one, I was able to pick myself up enough to support him through the day. Somehow, despite my complete and utter emptiness, I found that I was able to drop everything just to try and help him. 

I just wanted to know why it was that I could only find the strength to keep going when everything else around me broke too. How could I put myself on hold to help Luke when I couldn't even help myself? 

I didn't even know how to put the thought into words, so I didn't even try. Instead, I left the question in the back on my mind - pushing on every thought of mine until I was able to distract myself for a while. But when the world was quiet and I was finally alone, I couldn't pretend anymore.

When Luke was finally calm - his mind somewhat at ease again, we slowly walked back into the warmth of the hospital, the heat engulfing us and making us feel as though we never should have left.

The journey up to Calum's room was silent and unspoken until we reached the corridor just before his room. "Uh, Delilah, I had talk - with Calum before I came out to see you again." Luke stopped me, his arm grabbing onto mine, denying me from walking further. My ears perked up at his words and I nodded for him to continue. "I just think you ought to know how terrified he is of everything," I swallowed, a lump beginning to form in my throat as I listened to what he had to say to me. "Of losing you."

I went to shake my head, almost feeling as if his words were mocking me, but when I looked up at his almost teary eyes, I refrained myself from doing so. I simply nodded and swallowed my pretension - or fear, either of the two.

I was expecting to see Calum sleeping peacefully on the bed when I walked in, not sitting upright as a nurse was standing before him, questioning the exhausted boy. Fear swept into my mind by that point, and I began to worry if something was wrong with him. I dropped my back and nervously walked over to where Calum was, standing near his side - but not too close.

"Is everything ok?" My voice coming out weak and timid as I spoke. Calum rubbed at his eyes, nodding sadly as he slowly rolled his sleeve up to his shoulder. "What's happening?" I asked as I watched the nurse intently, her hands reaching over and picking up a needle, filled with some sort of medicine for Calum.

"Just some sedatives and a bit of medication to help him get some rest," she began, directing her words at me almost as if Calum wasn't even in the room. "He's sleep deprived," she added on, my heart breaking soon after.

Even after all he had been through, I could still sense the fear that Calum has as he stared down at the needle. Without even realising what I was doing, I reached out and took hold of his hand, squeezing gently to reassure him. He didn't seem surprised or shocked at my action - though he seemed pretty dazed as it was.

"How long until it starts to work?" I asked the nurse, watching as she prepped the needle to his arm. "Shouldn't take long. He'll be sound asleep before you know it." I sighed peacefully, looking over at Luke who quietly dismissed himself - heading out into the lonely hallway.

After seconds, she was picking up the little mess she had made - which consisted of several wrappers for the needle - and was saying her goodnights, pulling the door closed on her way out.

I helped Calum lie down, adjusting the pillow for him and pulling the blankets over him once he seemed comfortable. His eyelids were already dropping - struggling to stay open and focus on me. A sad smile reached my lips as I looked down at him. He nuzzled his head further onto the pillow, eyes barely open as he shifted around a little more.

"Delilah," he mumbled out barely conscious, his eyes fluttering closed.

"I'm sorry, baby," I whispered thinking he was asleep, sinking into the familiar chair at his side as my heart too - sank in my chest. I ran my hand through his dark and messy hair, kissing my fingers before carefully caressing them over Calum's forehead. I heard him mumble something, the last words of that night before he fully slipped into a quiet dream

"I love you."

-

Ok, I literally just wrote these two chapters and they were unplanned but aw, cute Dalum moment for you.

120 COMMENTS FOR AN UPDATE !!!

Important thing I feel the need to share: Don't let anyone tell you that time is a justification of love. It doesn't matter who they are, where they are, or what they have done - no one has the right to say who you do and don't love. It doesn't matter if someone has "liked them longer" or "been a fan of them longer" + 'We are born in one day. We die in one day. We can change in one day. And we can fall in love in one day. Anything can happen in one day.'

Ugh, I just needed to get that off my chest. 

Love you.

Always.