3.3

Calum}.

I woke up late evening to the sound of soft whimpering beside me. I peeled my heavy eyes open, the room being not that light as the sun was almost completely hidden, faint moonlight breaking through the curtains. "Del?" I questioned, wiping my eyes and sitting upright, placing my hand delicately on the soft skin of her arm.

"Hey Delilah, what's wrong?" I asked her, tugging her gently to sit her up. She sniffled and did so, hiding her face from me as I tried to get a better look at her. I realised then that this seemed to be the first time I was able to get some sleep without screaming myself awake at the horrific memories of the crash. I wondered if she ever got them too - night terrors.

She turned her face, refusing to let me see her, her back shifting slightly more towards me as I rested my hand on her thigh. "Delilah," I murmured her name, my voice not seeming to soothe her the slightest.

"Lilah," I whispered knowing that the name would cause her to listen. "Talk to me."

She stopped her sniffling and wiped under her eyes, remaining still for a moments before she turned to look her me, her grey eyes holding so much pain as they stared deep into mine. She looked down at my hand, her lips trembling again. "I think I still love you, and I'm terrified."

Her words shattered my heart, pieces puncturing my lungs making it hard to breathe. Was she trying to say that there was a time when she wasn't sure if she loved me? Was she really that broken?

"Why are you so scared of me?" I asked her, a burning desperation in my heart to know all that was troubling her mind.

"Because this is never going to work," she answered me, her voice calm and quiet.

"Delilah, I love you," I told her. For some reason, it felt like she was giving up on me. "And I'm right here, ok? I promise I'm not going anywhere. I'm safe now."

"You need to be without me, Cal." She told me, her words only adding to my assumption that she still blamed herself for what happened to me.

"Delilah, this-" I paused, gesturing to all the scars and purplish burises still visible on my skin, "isn't your fault. You didn't cause this."

"Calum, you almost died!" She snapped at me, but she still failed to show any anger towards me.

"Because a drunk driver hit me, not because of you."

"You were hit because I drove off."

"I was hit because I would do whatever I could to get you back, and that included risking my life."

"Because of me."

"Delilah," I sighed, clueless as to what I could say to her to get her to change her mind. "Don't give up on me."

"Calum, I'm doing this for you."

"Delilah." I warned.

"Calum," she fired back. "I won't continue to let myself hurt you."

"Delilah, don't do this," I begged her, holding tightly onto her wrist as she stood up. The sleeves of her sweater were pulled past her hands and she moved them up to gently wipe away the tears which so suddenly came on. "Del, I don't care about any of this. Just please, stay." I whispered in heartache, but she didn't stay.

-

Thank you so, so much for all the lovely comments. It makes my day reading them!

Guys, sad news; only a few more chapters left of this book : (

COMMENT GOAL 50.

I luh ya cuties I luh ya luh ya luh ya cuties.