Chapter 1

"Hey, can you pass me my bag?" I asked my BFF, Emmaline.

"Sure thing, Bridget."

She reached down beside her white pool chair to grab my tote bag. We were at my house doing the same thing we always did at 5 pm, chilling outside at my house in our bikinis.

I took my bag from her outstretched hand and fumbled inside it, searching for my single black pony tail holder. There was way too much stuff in my bag to find it.

"Em, can I borrow a pony tail holder?"

"Sure."

She pulled one off her wrist, so I could put my waist-long blonde hair into a messy bun.

"Are you excited for the annual 4th of July party?" Em asked.

"Of course!" I responded. "It's the only time I get to go to the community pool."

My mom is very strict. For some reason, I'm not allowed to go swimming. Never. But hey, I'm 17. Of course I'm going to break this rule. I remember the first time I did. It was in 8th grade and I was sleeping over at Em's house. Em's parents went to a casino, so we were home alone for a long time. Em let me borrow a tankini and she taught me how to swim in her backyard pool. My mom never found out.

Em's phone went off, causing me to jump. She reached over and picked it up.

"Sorry Bridget. I gotta go. Chris is waiting for me. We still have to decorate our triple-fudge brownies."

Em and Chris first met each other in 1st grade, but they didn't become a couple until the summer of 8th grade during our school's carnival. In September, we'll be seniors. They've been together that long!

Em grabbed her bag and dashed out of my backyard, screaming, "See you later!" over her shoulder.

I stood up and walked inside. There was only an hour left to change before the party began. I raced upstairs to my bedroom. After 20 minutes of searching for the perfect outfit, I finally settled on a white tank top over top of my red, white, and blue bikini with my denim shorts and plain beige sandals. I left my hair in a messy bun and put on a light pink lipstick and black mascara to make my bluish-green eyes pop.

My mom told me that she would meet me at the community pool after her work was over at 8 pm, so I went outside and grabbed my baby blue bike. I started to bike to the pool. I was ready to party.