Chapter 6

Around lunchtime the next day, I received the most heart-racing text I have ever gotten before. Of course, it was from Evan.

Hey, Bridget. I just wanted to tell you that I really like you and I told my parents this. They said that they had to meet you before I could officially start dating you. Would dinner at my house around 5pm be okay?

I thumbed back a reply.

Yeah, sure. That's fine with me.

I was so excited, yet scared about this date. Evan's parents seemed really intimidating and I wanted to make a good impression. I rapidly scarfed down the rest of my leftover wonton soup and bolted out the door. I literally sprinted to Em's house, not stopping once. I pounded on the door as hard and as loud as I could. I saw a glimpse of light brown hair through the windows. Em flung open the door.

"What's up?"

Struggling to breathe, I replied, "Evan... sent... me... this... text!"

I shoved my pink phone into her red-nail-polished hands.

"Whoa."

"I know! I'm so nervous to go! I don't want to make a big fool of myself..."

Em grabbed my shoulders.

"Calm down. It's going to be okay. You'll go and it'll all be fine. Don't worry," she soothed.

My breathing started to calm down.

"Okay, you're right. Thanks."

"Bridget, I'd love to stay and chat, but I actually am supposed to be somewhere. Do you want to come back an hour before the dinner and I'll help you get ready?"

"Sure."

I waved goodbye and Em slammed the door shut. I wasn't sure, but I thought that maybe Em had a new boyfriend. I couldn't wait to hear all about it later.

***

Four hours later, I arrived at Em's house with my extremely fancy, knee-length, tight, sparkly, black dress on. She opened the door and invited me in. I wobbled a little bit as I stepped into her house with my black high-heels on. We climbed up the stairs and she ushered me into the back corner of her bedroom where her make-up station was. I sat down on the pink chair with wheels.

"Do you want your hair up in a bun?" Em asked.

"Why not?"

There was an uneasy silence in the air while Em teased my hair.

"So," I began, "where did you go after I left?"

I felt bad being nosy, but I was too curious to not find out. Em started to pile my hair up on my head in the shape of a bun.

"Just out with friends," she replied as she sprayed my hair.

I lightly placed my hand on her arm.

"Em, you know you can tell me anything, right? Were you on a date with a new guy?" I excitedly prodded.

"No!"

She spun my chair around to face the mirror. My bun was perfect. It was tight and professional looking.

"Just, if I tell you, you can't get upset," Em nervously said.

"I won't."

She sighed.

"I was on a date with Chris."

I was astounded.

"You mean you were on a date with that no-good, cheating, ugly loser?"

"Yes. He apologized and I just couldn't say no to his plead to keep dating. He promised he would never cheat on me again."

"Em!" I yelled. "You can't let people treat you that way!"

"You said you wouldn't get upset!"

"I'm upset that you're letting him walk all over you!"

Em looked like she was about to blow a fuse.

"It's my life, Bridget! Stop trying to control me!!!"

"I'm just trying to look out for you," I explained.

"Yeah? Well, I don't need you to," she bitterly said. "I think you should go."

I trudged down the stairs and out of her house. I was not in a good mood anymore.