Chapter 18

Evan rushed over to my side.

"Bridget, Bridget! What's wrong?" he asked anxiously.

"I-I..." I stammered, not able to finish my sentence.

"Just show me what you saw."

I reached beside me, my hands trembling uncontrollably. I grasped the important paper and handed it to him.

"Oh. My. God," Evan said, his brown eyes widening in shock. "You have a sister."

I started sobbing uncontrollably. Evan dropped the birth certificate on the ground and moved in closer to me. He draped his strong arm across my shoulders and I leaned my head on his shoulders. He held me as I sobbed like I had never sobbed before.

***

An hour or so later, my eyes had run out of tears. I stood up and swatted away my last couple of tear drops.

"Are you feeling any better?" he considerately questioned.

I sniffled and wiped my nose.

"A little."

He bent down to kiss my puffy lips. Warmth surged through my shaking body. My sorrow was replaced with a new, stronger feeling. Rage.

When we broke away from each other, I fiercely told him, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have something I need to do."

***

I stormed down the stairs, into the kitchen where my lying mother was washing the dishes.

"Oh, Bridget," she began, her back turned to me, "did you do what I asked you to do?"

I completely ignored her.

Stepping closer to her, I snarled, "Juliette Rose Toulane."

I noticed that her body stiffened up. Evan slowly started to walk down the stairs, trying to steer clear of the drama that was unfolding.

"What?" my mom replied, trying to cover up the secret I just discovered.

"Oh, that's just the name of the sister you NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT!!!"

My mom turned around to glare at me. Her eyes became icy. Her face became blank.

"We do not speak about these things."

"Well, I think it's time that we should start talking about these things!!!" I screamed, my whole body burning on fire.

"Go to your room!" my mom commanded.

"No!!! You don't tell me what to do, you lying witch!!!!!"

She gasped and I saw that tears were coming to her eyes. I didn't care. I flew open the door and ran outside. I grabbed my bike from where it was lying on my driveway, out in the open for anybody to take it. I got onto my bike. Evan burst through the front door.

"Bridget, wait!" he cried out, rushing towards me.

But it was too late. I was already pedaling away, leaving the nasty past choking in the dust.