Chapter 11

"What was that all about?" Evan asked when I reached him.

"Chris is still cheating on Em," I angrily answered.

"Man!" he exclaimed as he ran his hands through his full hair. "Again?"

I nodded.

"And I talked to him about it too! That's just messed up. I hope you know that I would never do that to you."

I reached out to grab his hand.

"I know, and I wouldn't do that to you either."

We were quiet for a few minutes. The silence was not uncomfortable, but there was something hanging in the air. I felt like Evan wasn't telling me something.

"Do you know why I wasn't here for a few days?" Evan questioned.

"No, you didn't tell me."

A strange feeling of dread came over me. I felt sick to my stomach.

"I was at Harding University for an orientation. I met some of my future teachers, classmates, and my roommate."

"Oh," I said, crestfallen.

I didn't want to think about him going off to college.

"I'm leaving for college on Saturday."

"That's only six days from now!" I quavered, feeling tears come to my eyes.

"I know," he replied sadly.

I couldn't keep my tears in anymore. I started to cry. Evan pulled me in to him to give me a hug.

"It'll be okay," he whispered soothingly.

I wept into his shoulder. I didn't want him to leave!

"Hey, hey," he said in a quiet voice as he tilted my chin up towards him. "Don't cry. We both knew this was going to happen eventually."

"I know, but it's happening way too soon!" I whimpered.

"We should spend these next few days together, doing happy things."

"I don't know if I'll ever be happy again."

Evan beamed.

"Oh, I know how to make you happy."

He cupped my face with his big strong arms. Grabbing my waist, he pulled me closer. My heart was pounding. I had goose bumps all over. He leaned in closer, and then we were kissing. His lips were surprisingly warm. We kissed passionately for a long time. All of my depression was gone. It just might have been the greatest moment of my life, that is, until I heard an angry voice yell my name.