Chapter 21

We walked and talked as the rain showered us. I guess this was our last 'date' together before he left for college in a few hours. I had checked my phone, so I knew that it was past midnight. We stopped in front of my house, the only light coming from the moon and the lamppost in my front yard.

Evan bowed, reached out his hand, and asked, "May I have this dance?"

I goofily curtsied in my shorts and tank-top and replied, "Of course!"

I placed my small hand in his and he pulled me to him. I clasped my hands around his neck as best as I could and he placed his arms around my waist. We swayed back and forth together, gently being soaked by the rain.

"Oh! You look cold," Evan exclaimed as he took off his jacket and put it around my shoulders.

I felt bad because all Evan had underneath his jacket was a thin tank top.

"Thanks," I whispered. "Y'know, I'm really going to miss you."

I started to tear up.

"Don't cry," he said as he gently wiped off my tears. "If you start crying, then I'm going to start crying."

"I can't help it!" I wailed, flinging myself into his arms.

Tears poured out of my eyes.

"There, there," he soothed as he sweetly stroked my hair. "Everything is going to be just fine."

I looked up and saw that tears were silently streaming down his face as well.

"I love you, Evan Garner," I softly murmured.

"And I love you."

He tightened his grip on me, as if he was afraid that I would leave him. I tilted my face towards his, leaned forward, and kissed him roughly on the lips. He quickly started to kiss back. Our kiss was deep and passionate. He dipped me down low as we kissed. I felt the cold rain drops on my face. Rain drops dripped off of Evan's chin and splattered on my lips. When we broke away to catch our breath, he grabbed my hand.

"Come on. Let's go inside," he said.

I followed him into the living room. Evan started to fix his blankets on the couch.

"Um... I have a question. Don't take this in the wrong way, but could I sleep down here with you?" I nervously asked. "I'm kinda scared to sleep upstairs by myself after what just happened."

"I understand," he began. "You need your big strong protector near you."

I smiled and rolled my eyes.

"Of course," he answered.

"Thanks."

I went to the hall closet and grabbed a few pillows and a bundle of blankets. I started to set up my sleeping area on the carpet.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. What do you think you are doing?" Evan questioned.

"I'm making my bed."

"On the floor?"

"Yes."

"You are not sleeping on the floor."

"Evan, really it's fine."

"No, it's not. I'll take the floor. You take the couch."

"It's fine."

"No, it's not!" he playfully yelled as he picked me up and placed me on the couch.

I giggled. He picked up the covers and swiftly tucked me in.

"Good night," he said.

"Good night."

He kissed me on the cheek and started to make his bed. He is such a good boyfriend. There's no way that I can let him go.