Chapter 8

My bedroom door silently creaked open. I furrowed further underneath my soft-as-silk covers.

"Mom!" I groaned. "It's the summer. I'm allowed to sleep in."

"Hello, Bridget," a strangely masculine voice said.

I pulled the blanket away from my head, so I could see him.

"What are you doing here, Evan?"

"Your mom said I could come in."

"Okay... but why are you here?"

"Chris and Em asked me if you and I wanted to come along with them to the beach. Do you want to go?"

I grinned from ear-to-ear.

"Yes! This will be the first time I've ever swam in the ocean!"

I abruptly stopped talking.

"Did you tell my mom this?" I nervously asked.

"No, no! I told her that we were going out for a day about town with friends."

I sighed a huge sigh of relief.

"Thanks. Now can you wait out in the hallway for me. I have to get ready."

He nodded and left my bedroom. I yanked the warm blankets off of me, revealing my too-short black PJ shorts and tight pink tank top. I searched through my drawers for my favorite lacy light pink bikini, denim shorts and black tank top. All I wear in the summer are tank tops and shorts. I grabbed my clothes and walked over to my small bathroom that was in my bedroom. I changed into my clothes, hurriedly brushed my hair and teeth, and put on water-proof mascara. I grabbed my hot pink tote bag and shoved my swimsuit cover-up, jumbo pack of sunscreen, wallet, and cellphone into it. I walked out of my bedroom and saw Evan standing in front of the door across from my bedroom.

"Why is this door locked?" he asked.

"I don't know. My mom said that it was locked when she first bought the house. I have no clue what's inside, either."

"That's odd," Evan commented.

His brow was scrunched up in puzzlement.

"I know. Hey, we better get going."

We walked outside to where Chris's car was. Evan opened the door for me and I got in. We sat in the back together. Chris and Em said hi, but that was all. Boy was this going to be an awkward car ride!