Chapter Four | Cupcake Crusade

CHAPTER FOUR~
CUPCAKE CRUSADE

I woke up to the sun shining. My familiar room met my bleary eyes. Immediately, questions bombarded me. How did I get home? Who brought me up here?

I scrambled up, sweeping my gaze the room and noting the sticky note stuck to my side table.

You look too cozy sleeping so I didn't wake you. Hope you had a nice rest and I'll see you later. -James

I groaned, wondering how my mother reacted when she saw that. That was not going to be fun dealing with. I shifted painfully as the discomfort of sleeping in jeans registered. Easing my way out of my bed, I stood up rigidly and rummaged around my drawers. As I picked out my comfort clothes -sweatpants and a t-shirt- the pounding of heavy footfalls had me wondering who was being so freaking loud.

Someone knocked on my door. I recognized the rapid, light taps to be Soraya. Over the years, I had developed the ability to distinguish her knocking from anyone else's.

"Come in!" I shouted.

"Hey!" she greeted as she walked in and closed the door behind her.

"Hi. How'd you get in here?" I questioned as I picked up my clothes again.

"I caught your mom before she left so she let me in."

Huh, so maybe she wasn't too mad.

There was a lengthy pause and I looked up at Soraya's expectant face. "What?"

"How was your day with James?" she asked.

"How did you know?!" I demanded with some shock.

"One: You told me 'cause you tell me everything. Two: We had plans to do a sleepover thingy and when I arrived, imagine my surprise when your mother told me you were out with James," Soraya filled me in with a sly smirk. "She looked as if she was barely holding in her anger so I'd be wary if I were you."

"Well crap!" I swore as I wracked my mind for memories that I couldn't scrounge up.

"So? I want an explanation."

"Can I get a shower first? I haven't showered since yesterday and I feel really icky," I stalled.

Soraya narrowed her eyes at me, catching my feeble attempt at stalling. "Fine. I'll let you off the hook this time. I'll go get coffee for you, and then... We'll talk," she threatened spookily. Then she was gone.

I sighed and went to freshen myself up, mentally preparing myself for a hundred and three different scenarios from Soraya.

<<∞>>

"And the last thing I remember was plugging in my earphones and falling asleep," I finished summarizing my day as I sipped some coffee from my takeaway cup.

"Hmmm... I see, interesting, very interesting," Soraya murmured, forming a steeple with her hands.

"Soraya..." I warned.

"Yes Celia?"

"Don't."

"What do you mean? Obviously you and James are meant to be." She snickered evilly.

"You are an absolute jerk! Why must you pair me with every single male I interact with?" I groaned.

"It's my job. Don't worry, you're just in-"

"Don't say it!" I cut in.

"Denial!!!" she sung happily. "You know, denial is extremely unhealthy?"