Chapter Twenty Nine | Freedom From The Four-Year Prison

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE~

FREEDOM FROM THE FOUR-YEAR PRISON

It was the last day of school and we only had to go in for about twenty minutes to collect our report cards. The teachers would likely let us out once we had the envelopes in our hands. Thanks to the strike, there was no exam review period which shortened the day by an hour.

"You excited?" Soraya asked as we walked to our high school for the last time.

"I'm feeling kind of sad," I admitted, feeling my chest tighten at the thought of leaving all things familiar, "I mean, yeah high school is over and I'm excited to leave but... I don't know. It's going to be new, like we're little fetuses being released to the world? We've made so many amazing memories here? A bunch of things play a role in my not-entirely-happy feeling. I know it's cheesy but –"

"I know what you mean. Time flies. I can hardly believe that this is our last walk to school. In... about half an hour," Soraya checked the time, "We are going to be unofficial graduates of high school."

"It's kind of stupid that commencement, graduation... whatever you want to call it, is in November though," I commented.

"D'ya think you're going to go?"

"Maybe? We'll see how things end up. I'm sure there'll be plenty of work next year."

"I won't be seeing you every day next year," Soraya murmured thoughtfully as she pulled to a stop. Her eyes misted slightly and I tugged at her bag.

"C'mon buddy. Keep walking. But yeah, I'm going to miss you Soraya."

Soraya smiled and shook her head softly as she continued walking again, "Let's think about all this later, I'm sure I'll be crying my eyes out sooner or later," she dismissed, swiping at her eyes, "For now, tell me all about prom night!"

The mood lightened and I didn't protest at the sudden change in topic. Like Soraya, I was not ready to think about saying goodbye – not when we still had a glorious two months ahead of us.

"I've told you so many times!" I complained, waving my hands wildly.

"Only five times!" she argued, easily bouncing back to her usual self.

"Five times in the span of four days!"

"Tell me again!"

"I got sick. James came over. We agreed to spend summer together and see where things go from there. La fin," I summarized in a bland tone.

"You suck! Aren't you happy and all la-la-la, nothing-can stop-me-now?"

"I'm happy, yeah but I'm not feeling like getting my hopes up."

Soraya frowned. "Hopes up for what?"

"The future? I may be in denial about saying goodbye to this place," I made and all-encompassing gesture, "But I'm far to realistic to try to consider a happy ending you know?"

Soraya nodded slowly as she considered my words. But she was looking displeased. Nonetheless, she accepted my opinions "Alright then. How are you guys now?"