Chapter Twenty Eight | New Beginnings

So... did anyone watch last night's Superbowl? Thoughts? Anyone?

Yay broncos? 

Jk... keep reading and enjoy.

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT~

NEW BEGINNINGS

It was finally the grand day where prom would be held.

In class, there was a strange hush amongst the grade twelve students. Half of the grade –mainly the girls –were absent, finding the need to spend all day preparing for a night I still believed to be over-advertised. I still didn't understand why I decided to waste ninety dollars on a flimsy piece of paper that promised me the most magical night ever.

It didn't help that Soraya was one of those girls. So I had no one with me in many classes. And I was exhausted because Soraya had called at midnight, ranting about her excitement for today. She didn't hang up until two. And I left my window open last night and I managed to kick off my blankets in the middle of the night so I woke up freezing.

"Hey Cee!"

I turned around tiredly, scanning the halls for the source of the voice. I spotted James waving at me from his cluster of friends and I offered him a quick nod before turning away again. I just wanted to find a little spot to huddle up and sleep. Nothing else mattered at the moment.

"Celia!" James called again.

I spun around again and looked at the guy questioningly.

"Come here for a moment?"

I sighed but obliged, trudging over to James somewhat reluctantly. "What's up?"

"You alright?" he asked, looking far too concerned for my liking.

"Just a bit tired, don't worry yourself. Soraya kept me up until two with her crazy talk about prom."

"Not surprised. She's not here today is she?"

"Nope."

"How about you? Are you going tonight? It is after all, the most magical night you'll ever experience!" he sang out, dramatically.

"I'm going. Don't ask why or how because I don't even know."

"I guess I'll be seeing you there eh?" he said with a smile. "We can be bored together. And we can laugh at Kenny and Soraya too."

"Shut up," Kenny grumbled from his place against the locker. "Soraya and I can laugh at you two."

"There's nothing to laugh at," I replied simply. James didn't respond at all, choosing instead to keep up a mask that hid away all his thoughts.

"You keep telling yourselves that."

All of James' friends looked between us interestedly.

"It's the truth," I said at last. "Nothing more to it." Offering one last, tired smile, I turned to walk away.

I seriously needed that nap right about now.

When school finally ended, I was literally dragging my feet everywhere. I was feeling feverish and sick. There was absolutely no energy in me to go to prom tonight. The very thought made me feel uneasy.

I stopped by my locker briefly and leaned my forehead against the cool metal. With a lot of effort, I spun in my combination and pulled open my locker door. I dropped off all my books and binders –none of the teachers assigned any homework because of tonight's prom. I grabbed the little bottle of Advil I kept in the corner and swallowed one pill.