Chapter Eight | Eternal Smiles

CHAPTER EIGHT~
ETERNAL SMILES

I fingered my phone and clicked on James' contact for the fifth time this morning. Ever since we hit that tense day, we hadn't spoken. That was three days ago. While it didn't seem like much, this project wasn't going to finish itself. I had already begun the editing and creation of my film. I'd like to say it was going well. But there simply wasn't enough footage. And to be honest, I also missed him.

Anyway, I managed to finish all that math my mother assigned me. I was up at five in the morning and I had worked nonstop until nine. Upon completing my work, my mother had no reason to keep me at home. With my dad on my side and after a few explosive arguments, I had gained the freedom to do the project as I saw fit. So this was a brilliant time to call James. Who knows how long I had until my mother decided to run interference again.

I thought to two days back, when I told Soraya about our silence. She'd shaken her head vehemently, then she smacked the back of my head and ordered me to call him. She said he was likely giving me a chance to cool down and reorient myself.

I owed him an apology. If nothing else, I wasn't going to get another head slap from Soraya. With that thought, I pressed the call button.

It rang.

Once...

Twice...

"Celia," James said my name carefully.

"Hey James. I-I'm sorry about the other day," I blurted before I could think twice. My hand was worrying at a loose strand of thread on the hem of my t-shirt.

"S'okay," he murmured. "If you just want to get this done and over with, I don't mind."

My heart clenched as I realized that no, I didn't want this to be all done and over with.

"I was annoyed that day, I didn't actually mean it," I paused. "My mom was just...getting to me."

"Don't worry. I get it. You don't need to say anymore."

I smiled even though he couldn't see me. "Eventually," I promised.

"Whenever you're ready, I'm right here," James returned, as my smile widened even more. "So? How have you been?"

And just like that, everything was forgiven. Or at least, for now.

"Oh my gosh really? I swear I just told you how I've been."

"Hey, it's better than the first time we met!" he pitched his voice to mimic me, "So how's life?"

"Are you ever going to let that go?" I groaned despite my laughter.

"That's what I want to hear! It is nice hearing you laugh! Avoid frowning at all costs! Smile forever and ever and ever!" He snickered at his own cheesy words. "But nope, I will hold that first day against you forevermore!" He cackled evilly.

"You suck you know?"

"Not any more than you do!" James smirked. "Now, aside from the insulting, where would you like to go on this fine day?"

I breathed in deeply, feeling the need to just run away and escape.

"Let's do something fun."

<<∞>>

The fun turned out to be an amusement park. The best part was, since it was the weekday, the park was emptier than usual.

We were taking turns to choose rides and James chose the one ride that involved too many twists and turns and flips for my liking. I shrieked in shock, grabbing onto James' arm as the ride unexpectedly swung me in a sharp turn again. He laughed from beside me, waving one hand in the air.