[1]

[in which James and Celia attempt to shop for groceries like normal people]

Celia ~

Someone was poking me but I really didn't want to wake up. Waking up meant facing life. Waking up meant movement. Waking up meant effort. It was far too early to put effort into anything.

I grunted, flailing my arms around hopelessly. I heard a familiar snicker and I couldn't stop the smile from spreading across my face.

"I see your smile Cee. Wakey, wakey!" James cooed, poking me sharply again.

"What do you want?" I snapped, closing my eyes when I saw the glaring sunlight.

"You do realize you asked me to come over at ten in the morning right? And you know... it's already eleven."

I groaned and cocooned myself into the thick blanket. "I'm stupid. Come back at ten... at night."

"C'mon Cee! Your mother left you a shopping list too. You're supposed to get a bunch of food before she gets back home. She wants to make pasta and some type of cake."

I sighed, feeling wide awake. I really hated that feeling of being forcibly woken up in the morning and being unable to fall asleep again. It sucked.

I dragged myself out of my cozy bed and staggered to the bathroom. Once I straightened myself out, I wandered back into my room. James was flipping through all of my university booklets at my desk but he stopped when I stopped beside him.

"Well, someone's looking better now."

"Feed me," I replied.

James grinned and stood as he tossed an arm around me. "We can do that on the way to the grocery store."

I leaned against James and took the list from his hand. I folded it into my wallet and stuck the whole thing into my sweater pocket.

James and I left my house and began walking to the nearest grocery store. It was located in a plaza so there were a few fast food joints nearby.

"What would the almighty Celia like today?" James asked as we walked.

"Pancakes. And hash browns. You?"

"Same. I swear I haven't had pancakes in such a long time."

"You had them last week when we visited Loretta's again!" I exclaimed.

"Oh. Ohhhhhhh. Oh yeah! I remember! Vaguely."

"Bad memory much?" I teased, flicking the side of his head lightly.

"Whatever," he pointed to a familiar red and yellow sign, "McDonalds okay with you?"

"It works."

We walked to McDonalds and ordered our meals. Within minutes, we were sitting down and stuffing our faces with food.

"I'm not a huge fan of McDonalds," I muttered through a mouthful of food, "But I'm a sucker for their hash browns. And they have passable pancakes. And they're super fast."