Chapter Two

When I walked into the apartment all I could hear was screaming and crying. Alice ran out to me in fear and panic. It wasn't often my spirited daughter threw a tantrum but when she did only my father or myself could calm her. Athena loved her Pa, my father adored her, but he'd been busy with work lately. Alice was good in the way that she could divert and stall, she could also delay them until I arrived. Hearing Athena vomit and then scream and cry broke my heart.

I gave my things to Alice and walked to the living room. It was a mess, papers had been ripped, shredded and thrown all over the room. The TV looked as if it had seen better days, there was a giant crack in the middle of it. The couch had a rip in it and Athena was sitting on it with her head in a bucket.

I rushed over to her and as I was about to pull her into my arms when she started kicking and screaming with her eyes closed. I felt tiny claws scratch my chin.

"No! Noo-ugh" Her head was in a bucket again and she started to dry heave. I held her hair and when she was done she opened her eyes and looked up at me with a small whimper.

"Mummy. I feel yucky."

I hugged her with a sigh. Kissing her forehead and talking to her, giving her water to drink, making sure she was okay. I stayed by her side until she fell asleep. I placed her exhausted little body on her bed. When the doctor came, he gave her some medication and left.

"Alice," I called, I walked into the living room to see her scrubbing the floor with tears in her eyes. "I-I called to get the things r-replaced..." I walked over to her and took her hand.

"Alice, go take a relaxing bath. The doctor said it should only be a 24 hour bug."

She nodded and climbed to her feet slowly. She'd sorted out a new TV and that was enough for now.

A knock on my apartment door reminded me of how exhausting my day was. I opened the door to see someone I hadn't expected to see.

"Cindy." I murmured.

The girl with perfect blonde hair strolled into my place like she owned it. I groaned internally, she wasn't supposed to be back yet. She flipped her hair with manicured fingers and smacked her lips together.

"Your place looks like shit, hurricane Katrina sweep through here?" Her voice was high pitched and squeaky.

I closed my door and walked to the kitchen opting for an Irish coffee. I needed something strong if I had to deal with more bullshit and-

I poured myself a scotch instead, drinking it in a quick swig. I turned around and plastered a fake smile on my face.

"You're back early." I stated.

Conversation with Cindy was almost like grating your face against the thorns of a rose. She's beautiful but completely fake, from her 6 inch layered make up, her manicured nails and fake breasts. Her tan wasn't even real, it looked gaudy and unnatural. She was good company for shopping but that was as far as her value went in my books.

Cindy followed me and she wrinkled her nose at the smell.

"Where's your brat?"

I needed another drink for this. I thought about the events of the day and it was only midday.

"Sick." I stated, I guess it was a good idea to stay behind, I wouldn't say it out loud but Athena being sick excused me from having to see my father. I would visit eventually but I'd have to work up the courage first.

"Have you gone to see him yet?"

It could be the only reason that she was back. Cindy was almost like a sister after her father was arrested. My dad had decided to take her under his wing as best he could. He'd be the reason for her to come back, my father is an amazing man who never let his wealth get to his head. Even though we had a lot of money we had to earn our niceties. My parents were firm believers in independence, so growing up we cleaned and cooked for income.