Chapter Seventeen

Time flies when you're having fun.

My magical date with Axel ended with a picnic under the stars and a sweet kiss at the door of my house. He hadn't pushed for more, he hadn't even hinted that his expectations were for me to take him to my bed. He just shoved his hands in his pocket and walked away. The next morning I was on cloud nine. When I went to the meeting with all the important people at work we discussed how we could convert the takeover into some kind of merger. If we were to combine the power and nature of Lawson Inc. and Axel's company our net worth would increase. The pros outweighed the cons and Axel seemed to be on board with it. We hadn't discussed who would be running the business as of yet, but the paper work would take a few weeks to finalize.

While waiting for the merger to be complete things at work had been dull, uninteresting and bland. I was finding that there was less work to be done. I spent more time at home with Athena. I was glad for this reprieve, I hadn't realized how much time I had spent at work and not with her. Did this stuff effect her? I felt guilty, so as a result I spent more time with her.

I'm unsure how Axel and I started to act like a couple, but it felt very natural and we managed to start a kind of routine between the three of us. In the morning Axel would show up at my parents house, he would have breakfast with us and then together we would drop Athena off at day care. Then Axel and I would head to the office for a few hours, have lunch together and then pick up Athena. We would have little family time and then drop Athena off to go to a function of a date. Axel would drop me off with a chaste kiss on the lips, I would go inside, cook dinner and hang out with Athena and then we would go to bed. In the morning the cycle would repeat all over again.

I decided that after the third week of this it was finally time to get serious with Axel, I was wanting more and more from him, but I still questioned his motives. When he showed up this morning, it was just he and I in the house, everyone else had been busy and had taken Athena with them. My little girl wanted to spend time with her Pa. I opened the door before he could knock. Axel smiled at me and kissed my cheek, 

"Morning," he hummed.

I opened the door wider for him to come in and he looked around the house, noticing the eerie quiet of the usual busy house. "Where is everyone?"

I smiled at him and walked into the kitchen, "They're all out, Athena wanted to spend some time with her Pa, so she's not going to day care."

Axel nodded and sat at the table, I could feel his eyes on me. Accessing me like a puzzle that needed to be put together. I finished preparing breakfast and placed it in front of him. I put on my business face and noticed Axel stiffen slightly and straighten his once relaxed posture.

"Elizabeth?" He questioned wearily.

I bit my lip and poured myself a cup of coffee. I took a deep breath, "Why did  you storm into my office declaring to destroy me?" I figured the best thing to do was be direct, despite my nerves eating me alive from the inside. He looked surprised for a moment,

"I told you, you ruined my sisters life. She ended up in rehab after the break up from Lyndon, she told me that you broke them up because you didn't think she was good enough."

I huffed in frustration and shook my head in distaste. I was sure that she had spread lies about me, it wasn't really my concern. She had no proof of the things that I had done and it wasn't supposed to effect me. By some cruel and random twist of fate I happened to sleep with the only kind of sibling that she had the same night. It was just my kind of luck to have that happen. I bent down and rifled through my briefcase to find the papers that I had found last time. I looked through them and then pushed them over the table towards Axel. I sipped my coffee in silence as he picked them up and read through all the information that I had discovered years ago. It was all the evidence that I had given my brother, I had made a copy. I make copies of everything, I have everything filed away neatly in multiple filing cabinets. I kept a record of everything that I have ever done or paid for. There was a whole cabinet with evidence and proof that I had found against every single one of my brothers' ex-girlfriends. I tried to keep out of his business, but as soon as he started to get serious about a girl, I would step in. I didn't believe that people could change. I hadn't seen one of the girls he had been with being honest with him. I knew that it was extremely invasive, but I didn't want him to make any foolish mistake. Not like the one I happened to have made.