Chapter Four

"Dad." I said softly. He turned to me with a guilty expression and gave me a weak smile, "Don't tell your mother?" I glowered at him and in our tense silence Athena got over her shock and approached my father.

"Papa?" She questioned. My father shot me a look that told me I shouldn't have brought her here but I shook my head. Athena needed to be here, this was a lesson I'd want to wait for another time but you could never put a watch on these things. She needed to know that people weren't always going to be around. He plastered a grin on his face and scooped her up and onto his lap.

"My Thisavrós"

I smiled at his Greek endearment, he didn't even talk to our mother in his home language but I knew what he had called her, his treasure. She was the silver lining in every bad situation, the Lawson treasure that money could never buy.

I sat in a chair and watched as Athena described her experience being sick, she told him about fathers day and I cringed, I forgot to call my own dad. Athena frowned and told him about Matty calling her a bastert,

"Papa, what's a bastert?"

He glared at me and I stifled a giggle, Athena thought he was the smartest person in the world and saved all her questions for him.

"Oh and Papa! Mummy said that we are moving house! Can we live with you Papa? I want to live in your house!" She exclaimed happily.

My father turned his attention to me and I forced a small smile, I spoke to him in French, knowing that Athena would understand parts of Italian and told my father that it wasn't safe for Athena and I to live in that apartment anymore. He nodded his head, understanding the importance of her staying a mystery and turned to Athena. He'd save his questions for later.

"Sure my Thisavrós, you and Mama can stay with me as long as you are a good girl." He said smiling.

Athena was always good for her Papa. Something I hadn't yet achieved but was working on. The two had a special bond and I couldn't possibly understand and didn't want to interfere, watching them was like watching two foreign people interact. They made strange hands gestures and sometimes babbled about nonsense. It was entertaining.

"I'll be a good girl Papa! I promise!" She exclaimed wildly with wide arm gestures. I leaned back in my chair and folded one leg over the other. I think I found another regret in this situation, not bringing my family together more often. I smiled as Athena made little binoculars with her hands, discussing the dilemma between saving the panda bear or eating ice cream. Her strange personality was something I loved dearly about her and not many people went along with it.

She giggled and told her Pa that the panda was a cookie and the ice cream was poisonous. She was glad she chose the panda! I didn't follow this but if she was talking to me I'd have gone along with it and been in that same place that she was.

While granddaughter and grandfather were distracted I pulled the papers my father was reading and signing to look at. I wondered what was worth stressing himself out about, but I didn't get a chance. I cringed and ran straight to the bathroom feeling my caffeinated breakfast escape through the toilet in my fathers bathroom. I wiped my mouth with toilet paper and flushed. Gross.

I walked out of the bathroom after washing my mouth out with water. I was glad Athena was too distracted to notice but I wasn't lucky enough with my dad. I gave him a weak smile. I had been told it was a side effect of the morning after pill. I was told that I could possibly throw up. I shook my head at my father and smiled. There was also a possibility that I got the tummy bug Athena had, there was no way to be sure. I wasn't sure which I wanted it to be. I ignored the awkward churning of my stomach and looked at the papers, frowning and looking at my father.