Chapter Five

A week of silence.

Axel hadn't bothered me once after the phone call and it stressed me out more than his presence. It wasn't that I wanted him around, no, because he had a way of stopping my thoughts. It was like trying to survive Athena's charm times one thousand. I wanted to be ready, I couldn't relax, always thinking my phone would ring, thinking he'd randomly show up where I was. I wasn't sure if I liked his silence, did that mean I pissed him off? Did it mean he was going to post the photo? I wasn't sure, I had no answers and I wasn't going to chase him, I wasn't going to show him it bothered me. He had the power, we both knew it, but I wasn't going to acknowledge this lack of control, I hated it.

My father was released from hospital in that week and Athena was having so much fun with her Nonna and Papa. Alice stuck around but pretty much got to relax in my parents mansion. I was glad she had a break, Alice was my saviour, she was Athena's second parent and I couldn't have raised her without Alice. That woman moved around with us and her life revolved around my daughter. I would often feel guilty though. I didn't want her give up the best years of her life looking after a child that wasn't hers, but every time I brought the subject up we'd argue. The type of argument where our friendship would be threatened. I had fired her more times than I could count hoping she'd go out and live. She wouldn't move out, she would ignore my un-hiring her and continue.

The last time we had that argument I had finally given in,

"You shouldn't be looking after a baby! She's not your daughter! You have a life that you need to live too Al!"

She shook her head and slammed a fist into a wall. I jumped, unacquainted with her anger. "Goddammit Ellie! Don't make me say this!"

I rolled my eyes, "Say what? You deserve a life outside of Athena and I!"

"You two are all I have left!" I froze and looked at her. "I went to the doctor a few years ago after my parents died and I was told that I'd never have children and the man I was with left me."

I took in a deep breath, and watched her eyes cry. I don't know what came over me but I hugged her. That was the moment she became a closer friend, not because of her story or pity. She became a closer friend because of her dedication and loyalty, I had realised at that moment that she stayed with us because she felt like we were family. I included her in girls nights with Tara and Hamilton, that's when we became our little family.

I was glad Alice got a break. She didn't seem keen on getting out of the house, but I didn't push it. She was happy with us, she didn't want anything more, but somehow I wanted more for her. I had heard her whimsical talks about wanting to be a lawyer. I paid her enough so she could probably go to college with it, I smiled at myself and decided, I was going to push her to do more. I had found courses that allowed part-time study so she could still look after Athena. I know that she wanted this, but would feel guilty about leaving her. They had night classes, she could go to those and I'd be home by the time she would need to leave for school. We could work around this and both be satisfied.

I hadn't seen much of Tara outside of work, she had been grooming Cindy for the position I was in, helping her find her feet and when she wasn't helping Cindy she was working with Pete. My father's PA, I had asked him if he wanted the position saying that I could have two assistants but he didn't want that. He offered to step down and teach Tara her new roll, glad to be free of the extra responsibilities. I didn't want a loyal worker like Pete to leave and asked him if he could stand by Cindy's side and guide her. He said he'd be honoured.

I had met with the reporters and told them that I was the new CEO and that was news worthy enough for them. They snapped some photos and now my photo is out in public again. I sighed heavily in my chair and put my head on my desk. Athena was safe, but I couldn't help fearing that something bad was going to happen. I couldn't decide if it was intuition or an over-active mind, either way, there was a foreboding feeling of something horrible to come.