Chapter Eleven

Life had always been easy for Axel. He had attended school in England until his father decided to move to America. Axel thrived wherever he went, top of his class, best in the school. Nothing he did was a challenge. When his sister got her heart broken it was the first trial he had faced in his life. Never had something like this happened to him. Women were the ones that got hurt, he hadn't realised the type of damage that occurred when it happened. He never had to pick up the pieces until Olivia cried in his arms, he had regretted the way he treated woman. When he saw this he swore that the mysterious woman from his suite, who turned out to be Elizabeth, would be the last time. It was, all the women he slept with after that knew his terms, one night only and no more. He wasn't interested in settling down. He didn't believe that he could find a love like his father's.

When he came into his grandmother's fortune his aversion to women became stronger. He was a dollar sign and they exerted their charm to try force a ring on his finger. He wasn't stupid.

Never before had he come across a situation like this, sure washed up penniless wannabes had accused him of carrying his child. A paternity test had sent them all packing though. He hadn't given the woman he slept with a second thought. He didn't suspect she was pregnant, let alone the rich heir to a billion dollar company. She had claimed that she had tried to find him. He wasn't sure about that.

He called the office he usually went through for paternity tests but didn't know how to get Athena's DNA to confirm or deny it. He also didn't know if he could take a pathological liars word for it. What made him question the validity of her claim was the fact that Elizabeth had also written a letter to her daughter. She hadn't sullied his name, had even told Athena that their history was theirs. She had stated his name and that's all. That is what made him believe Elizabeth.

The other thing that had bothered him was that she hadn't denied what she did to his sister, didn't even regret it. She claimed that his sister had ruined her sibling. That was not the story that he had heard. There was no way that he would doubt what Olivia had told him but what did Elizabeth think happened? Did her brother lie to her?

The next issue was Alexander. She said he was the reason she wouldn't want to tell him about Athena. What had Alexander done? He was in jail, right?

Walking to his apartment he opened the door to find his sister drinking wine with the very person he had under question. Axel leaned against the doorway as the two spoke. Olivia was talking about the house Elizabeth lived in with Athena, his possible daughter. He wasn't sure if he liked the sensitive information Olivia was sharing, but he didn't voice his opinions. At a lull in the conversation Axel found his opening,

"What is it that you were put in jail for Alexander?"

The pair turned their attention to Axel, both looking shocked by his silent approach and abrupt question. Elizabeth had placed doubts in his mind and he wasn't sure how to handle them. All his life there was always a definite answer and all of a sudden she makes him question his own judgement. Axel wasn't naive, he knew he could be arrogant and somewhat self righteous, but he had never been wring about his judgement on someone, he'd never been wring about a persons character.

There was an ominous threat lingering in the letter addressed to Axel that he couldn't shake, something that told him that Alexander could not be trusted.

"I told you," Alexander spluttered, that family lied about me and my character, said I was abusive and other outrageous claims!"

Warning bells rang loudly in Axel's mind at the shrill end of the other man's voice. The other tell tail sign was that he started to fidget under Axel's piercing gaze, beads of sweat starred to form under Alexander's lip as Axel's eyes narrowed. There was more to the story and the longer Axel watched the older man he grew more suspicious. It seemed his judgement was off about Alex and he refused to admit it to himself, let alone Elizabeth, at least not until he had answers and proof.