Chapter Twelve

He had every intention of rushing to Elizabeths parents house and demanding answers to the letters he had read but something stopped him. Axel wasn't sure if he was prepared for the answers he'd get. If he was indeed the father to a four year old girl, was he ready to be a dad? The two words were different to him. One meant he had biologically donated his seed to a child and the other was standing up and fulfilling a role he had no idea how to fill. He didn't know anything about Athena aside from what was said in the letters, he felt disgruntled at not being given the opportunity to be there through her life.

Sitting at a park bench he watched as children played, he felt so out of place in his thousand dollar suit, but he was on his way to see Elizabeth, he had forced his driver to stop and ironically they had stopped by this park. The day was wearing away and families were slowly fading, he was watching parents, both mothers and fathers talking happily and enthusiastically to their children. Would he be able to do that? Sighing to himself he watched a pale red haired woman walking around looking upset, her hair was frazzled and her grey eyes searching frantically.

"Ennie, where are you?!" The woman yelled in frustration.

Axel heard a giggle next to him and he looked down to see a little black haired child sitting next to him. It was very rare for him to not notice someone approach him let alone sit next to him. So he was slightly startled by this little girl. She was watching the red haired woman with interest and let out another string of giggled, Axel raised an eyebrow,

"Is she looking for you?" The little girl looked up to him, her amber eyes widening. Something familiar about him tingled but he couldn't place it. She nodded mutely and then turned her attention to the woman again,

"Shouldn't you be going to her?" The little girl frowned as a darkened glare came over her. He was unfamiliar with such a look on such a small child and was slightly taken aback,

"Aunt Alice deserves to be punished." She huffed, Axel tilted his head at her in question. "She said I wasn't allowed to see my daddy, but I wanted to see him. He's busy you know. Mummy tells me that he's busy with work all the time, and I told Aunt Alice I wanted my daddy for my birthday and she said I wasn't allowed."

Axel smirked a little at the girl, she had so much personality for such a small little thing. "Maybe your daddy is really busy?"

The little girl looked up at him and frowned, as if that thought hadn't occurred to her before. "But family..." She whispered, "Mama says family should be more important than working! That's why she comes home to me every day!" The little girl's face lit up when she spoke about her mother. He could see that the little girl idolized her mother. Axel didn't know why he was trying to make the little girl feel better but he felt that both parents should be present in a childs life, which is why he was so confused about having a daughter he didn't know.

"Well, then he can't be a very good daddy?" Axel regretted what he said the moment he said it, it wasn't his placed to put ideas into this kids head and they didn't seem to sit too well with her. A frown passed her face and she looked up at him her large eyes looking vulnerable and scared, "Does that mean my daddy doesn't love me?"

Axel felt flustered and opened his mouth to say something but the little girl cut him off, "Then I don't love my daddy!" She paused for a moment and looked back up at him thoughtfully, something seemed to trigger in her mind, "Are you a daddy?" She questioned, Axel shook his head, wondering what it was that she was thinking. She had a resolute look in her eyes that also twinkled with mischievousness. He watched as she jumped off the chair and run toward the frantic girl that was searching for her. She tugged on her Aunt's clothing and looked up at her beaming brightly. Axel felt bad for what he said but his heart melted a little at the girl.