Chapter Nine

AN: This might be the only update for a while. I haven't had internet for a long while and on my phone, I could only update this story and others have been waiting. I'll try though :)

~

Has anyone had a moment where someone says something and you laugh in their face because you don't believe them? Then in your hilarious laugh, you slowly come to realise it's true? Like pieces of a puzzle slipping together and forms this full picture. Instead of laughing I found myself crying, this was the worst day of my life, well aside from the day I lost Mitchell.

I didn't know what to do, for a full five minutes I let myself cry, I couldn't even remember the last time I cried. I didn't even know if I had tear ducts, I honestly thought they had dried out.

Sure there were times when my eyes welled, maybe a stray tear or two but I honestly can't remember the last time I had a good cry. They say it's therapeutic but afterwards you look like crap and feel just as bad as your appearance, if not worse. It's one of the reasons I tried to push all my feelings away and I had done a good job of it because it wasn't until Axel came waltzing back into my life had I felt the need to share my feelings. Athena was different, she always brought out my soft nature that I hid desperately from the outside world. My family and close friends were the only ones who knew exactly how fragile I was, am and probably always will be. They had been there, seen me at my lowest and most of all they had been around when Alexander had scarred me for life. The one I had relied on, who had helped me put the past behind me, rebuilt my life brick for brick was no longer around.

Mitchell was my person, he had been a friend to me since I was young and he'd seen everything, he'd seen the good the bad and the downright damning. He told me that it was okay to be afraid that fear and pain was what reminded us that we were human, it reminded us that we were still alive. I leaned on Mitchell so much and then one day he was just gone, out of my life forever.

Never to be heard of again.

I cried for him, I cried for Cindy and I cried for Athena.

After my wallowing was over I sat straighter and focused on my cousin, I should have believed in her, should have known that there was something wrong when I had heard about the shares, should have called and demanded she come over straight away. I couldn't though, I couldn't even see past the chilling behaviour of my daughter today, nothing was going right. I took her hand and led her to my father's study, sat her in a comfortable seat and let her cry until she was ready. Why hadn't we been informed that Alexander was out? Why hadn't anyone else thought about us?

I called Tara to come over straight away. I called Lyn but he was away in the UK, for the task I sent him. He needed to come home though. I told him it was urgent.

The next person I called was my mother, she answered in Italian and our conversation on the phone was generally in another language,

"Mum, you need to come home, now." I demanded.

To her silence I knew she was wondering what the fuss was, they were coming home tomorrow anyway, she was going to say that but I cut her off before she could say anything,

"We lost the majority of shares Mum, Alexander is back..."

That was all the motivation she needed, she told me that they would be home in two short hours. I called our family guards and security, they lived in an apartment building a minute walk from our place, my father had it built for his staff and some other guests if they didn't wish to stay at our house. I told three men to take shifts at Athena's door, five to stand around her room outside. I even got snipers from the apartment to sit on the roof and monitor my daughters room, another ten men were stationed around the house. Excessive, but the security was also for my family, we would need for Tara and Hamilton to move into the house too. Alexander was a smart man, he'd go for any and all people that we cared for.