Chapter Thirteen

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. SHIT!

"Why didn't you call me as soon as this happened?!" I growled.

Alice looked at me sheepishly, "I did, but you didn't answer... I called you like 10 times and that's when Athena started to throw her clothes around."

I sighed and groaned. This was so not happening, "Pinch me? This has to be a nightmare." I whispered.

I felt a sharp pain by my elbow and yelped, glaring at my friend and babysitter, "That was rhetorical." I dead panned. She grinned at me.

I knew that I would have to go down there and see this situation. I couldn't tell Athena that wasn't her father, cause it fucking was! Oh my God! How the hell did this happen! I could feel my hands shaking nervously as I exited my room.

Everyone had come from different parts of the house to see this. I stood at the top of the stairs. Hamilton looked like he was going to faint, Tara was so pale I was sure that she was going to faint too. Lyndon and my parents looked baffled and Cindy just looked at Athena like she was crazy. I didn't know how I was going to salvage this conversation. I didn't even want to deal with this. No one was supposed to find out like this, honestly, I didn't even want Axel to find out like this. Hopefully he thought it was just the whim of a child, but when I started my descent down the stairs we made eye contact. I froze in my place and I just knew, he knew... I don't know how he knew, but he knew. I could feel the eyes of the rest of the household landing on me and I thanked my lucky stars that Athena didn't pick up on the tension in the room.

She was happily in his arms, playing with his tie and poking him in the face, it would have been endearing and sweet if the situation had been in a different context. The two really did look like spitting images of each other. I wanted to turn around and run back up stairs. I watched as Lyndon put on a happy face and approached my daughter,

"Ennie, why don't we go play?" He questioned.

I looked at the stubborn child who glared at her uncle and folded her arms stubbornly, she shook her head furiously and clung onto Axel like he was her lifeline and I felt a stirring in my stomach. I had always wanted her to have a father. When I got to the bottom of the stairs Athena turned to me with the happiest look on her face. Her eyes were lit up and she grinned so wide, that happiness was always reserved for me when I had come back from work. I felt a jealousness curl around me.

"Athena," I said with a smile. She started jumping with happiness in Axel's arms and pointed to him,

"Look Mama! He came! This Daddy is better than my old one! This daddy came!" Her excitement was so pure and unadulterated. I didn't want that to go, I couldn't help but smile back at her. I moved toward Axel and put my arms out for her and she jumped into my arms hugging me happily.

She whispered to me, so no one else could hear, "Can we keep this Daddy, please?" She pulled away from me and looked up with the widest and most vulnerable look she had. It hit me hard and I coudln't refuse that look. It reminded me that Athena was still a child, a toddler, she didn't understand the cruelties of this world. She couldn't fathom the harsh realities between Axel and I, but I couldn't let that pollute her relationship with him. I gave her a smile and kissed her forehead.

"We'll talk about it tomorrow, it's bed time baby," I whispered to her.

She looked at me, tears forming in her eyes. It was going to be hell pulling her away from Axel now. She shook her head furiously and refused to meet my eyes. I asked her what was wrong softly and she looked back up at me, sadness so strong. I didn't like how she felt so fiercely. It was how I used to be, it only led to heartache and I didn't want to hurt her just yet. She looked at her hands as I held her to me and whispered to me again, it was so soft that I almost missed it,