Chapter 3: Can't Do This Alone

A/N: Dedicated to my awesome friend/fan @matchinwater :D

. : ☼ : .

Chapter 3: Can't Do This Alone

Pepper Potts

"Hey Tony, I got the scheduling for next week's press demos on the new MedTech ready" she called out as she walked into the house.

"Nice" was all he muttered out. He stood behind a bar chair in the kitchen, staring down at the cushion.

"Anything wrong?" she asked, setting her paper work on the bar table and standing beside him.

"Oh nothing really," he shrugged to himself, "except our old friend Antonio's daughter is now my ward."

"Wait, what?" she questioned, her face contorted with bewilderment.

"Remember Ant? Yeah well he died three months ago, asked me if I could take care of his daughter. I couldn't really decline." He walked to the other side of the table and prepared himself a drink.

"So she's here, right now?" Pepper asked slowly.

"Yeah, I sent her to the guest room upstairs," he walked back over to her and took a sip from his small square glass, "Want some?" He edged it close to her lips but she patted it softly away. He shrugged again and took another long drink.

"Tony, you can't raise a kid" she blurted out, "I mean, do you even know her name?" she looked amusingly as his face feigned uncertainty.

"It was some guy's name...Andrew I think. No wait, Andy! Yeah it was Andy. And I don't really have a choice, besides, she's already like sixteen. Not much raising needed except for a curfew and food."

"You're crazy Tony, you really think that's all it's going to take? She's a teenage girl for god's sake! She's going to need a lot more than rules she's going to break and food she's going to gorge on. And her dad just died..." she closed her eyes and remembered Antonio, the smart and funny sophomore from high school, one of her best friends.

"Yeah I know, I told her I was sorry about it and-"

"Did she cry?" Pepper immediately assumed.

"No, actually she told me to stop pitying her. She said mourning never gets you anywhere. Besides, something's up with his death. He died the same way his wife did and how she could have died today," he gulped down the last of his drink, "which by the way I saved her life."

"Well you've had a busy afternoon" she smiled to him.

"Yeah, well."

"Can I go... see her?" she asked hesitantly.

"Well yeah of course, you're not a slave you know," he grinned at the mention of the word and winked at her, "besides; I was hoping you could help me."

"What?" she had already turned to the staircase and now slowly pivoted back around so she could see him. He walked closer to her with pleading eyes and she swallowed nervously. She immediately cleared her throat and looked him in the eye.

"Pepper, I can't do this alone. I really can't. I'm asking you... if you could help me raise her. Just with all the complicated stuff" he added in the last part with a small smile.

"Oh give me the hardest part, huh?" she asked, not avoiding his gaze.

"No, you know what I mean. All those gross girly things. Just handle that for me, that is all I'm asking for. Please?" he stepped forward and pressed his forehead to hers. He stared into her eyes and pouted playfully.

"Okay, fine" she said, unable to resist the look he was giving her. He whispered his thanks before giving her a light kiss on the lips and walking off. She shook her head after a second passed and headed up the stairs, muttering to herself and trying to clear her head.

. : ☼ : .

Andy Valdez

                She lay on the bed with her eyes closed. The sheets smelled fresh and they were crisp to the touch, as if the room was hardly ever used but always maintained. She laid thinking about her dad and feeling on the brink of tears every time his face came up in her mind. His kind and warm eyes seemed to stare back at her, leaving her wondering what he was trying to tell her. Shaking her head, she realized she was making a big deal over a simple picture. She couldn't believe he had asked some man to take care of her.

She could handle herself, had done so for a week on her own when she was only twelve. A teenage girl with white blonde hair flooded her mind. She stared across her pain stricken face and then down to her engorged belly. She quickly tried blinking away the memory but it remained stubborn at the forefront of her mind.

                She looked around the room, trying to remember what went where and occupied her mind with new ways to reorganize it. She sighed for what felt like the hundredth time that day and rested her head on the pillow. She blew out heavily through her nose and was just about to drown herself in more images of her father when there was a knock at the door. Knuckles hit the wood once more before it was swiftly opened and a strawberry redhead poked her way in.

"Who are you?" Andy asked, immediately on the alert. The woman walked further in and shut the door quietly behind her.

"My name is Pepper, I'm Tony's assistant," Pepper said, walking forward.

"The name's Andy" she replied, holding out her hand. Pepper walked to her quickly and shook it with a smile.

"So you've come to get me to leave right? Well don't worry, I actually-" Andy started but stopped when Pepper gave her a questioning glance.

"Actually, I heard what happened. I just wanted to tell you that you're welcome here" Pepper gave her a soft smile and stared directly into her eyes.

"But I don't want to be here," Andy said softly, more to herself than anything else. She tucked her head into her pillow before Pepper asked, "Why not?" Silence followed and Pepper waited patiently for the longest minute of Andy's life before deciding she would leave her to her thoughts. Just as she touched the door knob, Andy whispered just loud enough for her to hear.

"Tony's just like him..."

. : ☼ : .

Editted November 6, 2013. Remember to vote and comment! Let me know what you think! :D

((After this chapter, the story is told in the first person with indicators beforehand to let you know who is narrating.))

-Ela