Chapter 36: Operation Infinite

A/n: This is dedicated to @merlinnarthur for being an amazing reader! Thanks :D

. : ☼ : .

Chapter 36:  Operation Infinite

Andy POV

"I'll set him chasing me on the corner before, there's a broken light, and he won't see you!!"

"No Jaime, you're with me!" I called out and slowed down, grabbing his wrist. Once we reached the corner with the broken light, Jaime pulled away from me violently.

"Meet me at your place!! Go, I'll see you there, just give me some time!!"

I looked back to see Jaime racing away from the car, towards the other street. His small frame was blurred by his speed, his short brown hair beginning to pick up at the ends. In an instant it was as if I had followed him, towards the abandoned patch of land. I felt Al running by my feet, his fur brushing on my legs. I turned around slowly, trying to find Jaime, and paused when I did. Locking eyes with me, he smiled and laughed, that true hard laugh that gave me shivers the first time I heard it.

It was neighboring maniacal, but one look at his eyes and you knew it was benign. In an instant, his eyes were filled with panic. Cold hard adrenaline raced through my veins as I saw flames licking at his feet. As if he were doused with kerosene, his body went up in immediate flames and I ran forward to protect him, only to be blown back. My eyes opened wide and I felt a rough tongue lapping at my cheek.

"Al?" I asked sleepily but then, when I moved my hand to his face, I knew it wasn't him. It was Beta, a husky that Tony had given me shortly after my return.

"Hey girl" I said sleepily, still feeling that guilty sting in my stomach. It was too soon, I knew it was too soon for me to get another dog. But when I saw the hopeful look on Tony's face, how desperately he wanted this dog to make everything better, I had agreed with what I hoped was an excited face.

"Look," he told me moments after my acceptance of the beautiful white and silver puppy,

"I know you still miss Al, more than 'miss' actually. This one, she isn't a replacement, okay? I know you could never replace Al. This is... just a reminder. 'When someone leaves, it's because someone else is about to arrive.'"

"Paulo Coelho" I said in a quiet voice, recognizing the quote. 

"I just don't want you to forget that shit happens for a reason." I nodded and continued, "Now what should we name her?"

"How about Beta... call her Bey for short?" I said in a low voice.

"You're such a nerd, you know that? Beta it is! Alright?" his voice still rang in my head as I looked down at the sad puppy. She whined and curved her head into the bend of my arm lovingly. I closed my eyes for a moment with drowsiness and blurred mixes of fire and Jaime raced through my head. A pair of red eyes glinted at me in front of my dad's crumbling figure. My house turned to ash as I ran away in fear, Al's warm body at my side.               

My eyelids sprung open and I was out of bed without a second thought. I changed into a thin pair of sweats and I left my black muscle shirt on. Pulling my hair into a messy but tight ponytail, I walked over to my closet and found my armor. Hastily, I placed the boots on over my sock clad feet and then the repulsor gloves.  With careful fingers I opened the window, revealing a dark sky and warm wind, and jumped out of the window. As I fell to the floor, I savored the feel of the wind against my face and arms. Just before I went splat, I put power into the gloves and rocketed upwards.               

Taking a tour of the city, I had managed to calm myself down and forget about my dreams. I didn't think of anything painful and filled my mind with facts and formulas. As I recalled a line from one of my favorite books, The Giver by Lois Lowry, a low light met my eyes. I eased myself away from its range but tried finding its source. In the next moment, the light disappeared and I was left floating in mid air. As I rounded off my course and started heading back for home, a sharp pain attacked the sides of my hand.