Chapter 43: In Flight

A/n: This is dedicated to @MELIEE016! Fan and reader of Battle Scars :D I hope you like this update :D

. : ☼ : .

Chapter 43: In Flight

Andy's POV

"Do you have to leave so soon?" I whined, hugging Rhodey tightly.

"Yeah kiddo, have a debriefing in the morning. I'll see you before your flight though, okay?"

"Alright" I said, giving up my hold on him. He laughed and ruffled my hair around a bit, and I frowned. "Next time, don't lock up all the suits for maintenance. At least give me a real chance to rescue your sorry butt" he said to Tony, who only placed his hands tiredly behind his head, yawning. I still couldn't get over the shock we both experienced when War Machine dropped us off in the armory, Rhodey and Pepper both working over one of the desktops, controlling the suit.

"Bye Rhodey" I said one last time as he left for the door and shut it quietly behind him.

"So," Tony started, "You're not going sorry."

"Tony you have to-" I said, continuing our argument from before Rhodey had woken up half an hour before.

"I don't have to do anything! People are after you Andy, don't you understand that?" he asked loudly and I could sense his frustration. Pepper was napping comfortably on the couch in the living room and we moved to the kitchen instinctually.

"But, I just... Okay, I get it, they're after me. What's the point with living in fear if I don't get to do anything at all" I asked defensively, over exaggerating just a bit.

"Now tell me why you really want to go? What, is it just because your friends are going?"

"No, I need to get away. Not from you guys!" I said quickly, responding to his dejected expression. "I need to get away from this. The city, the people, I don't know why. It's just; I need a breather, okay? I'll be safe" I smiled at him. "If anything, my suit will be ready by that time right? I'll have it with me at all times, totally in control of any situation. It'll be my knight in shining armor.... Hey that could be my name!"

"Oh yeah, how are you supposed to get that through baggage check?" he asked while rolling his eyes, his arms crossed over his chest, and totally ignoring my idea for the suit's name.

"Look Tony I'll be fine, please you have to let me go" I begged.

"Are you sure you can handle it? It's camp, which means little electricity, no Wi-Fi, cold showers-"

"Um, Tony, this is like a tech camp. If anything I'm sure I can find an outlet and a Wi-Fi spot." I added convincingly.

"I don't know Andy" he said worriedly. I looked over at him with a smile, although I was still incredibly frightened myself.

"I can take care of myself; I swear I'll be okay"

. : ☼ : . One Week Later . : ☼ : .

"Hello Ms. Valdez" I hear someone call out to me. I turned around quickly, stopping my previous panic of being on time in order to find the caller. Tony stopped besides me and sighed heavily, Pepper straightened herself out professionally.

"Director Fury" Tony said in defeat before pinching the bridge of his nose. This was the first I had ever heard of Director Fury and also coincidentally, the first time I ever saw Tony pinch his nose like that. This guy must really get under his skin.

"Hello, er, Director" I said with a smile, holding out my hand. He took it calmly, his hand enwrapping mine nearly twice.

"So, what your business here Director" Tony asked after Pepper leaned forward for a hand shake as well.