Chapter 39: First Priority

A/n: This is dedicated to @JennyStannard who is also an old reader of Battle Scars :3 Thanks so much for your support! :D 

Let's face it, most of us would love to be as badass as little Samuel (hint he's down there V)  

. : ☼ : .

Chapter 39: First Priority

Andy POV

"Hey you're Iron Man" a little girl I knew as Tory exclaimed. As if all commanded to do the same, a loud chorus of realizations met our ears. Russian dude had put two burly hands over the side of his head, which was bald save for a thick moustache and a strange tattoo near the back. Tony looked slightly annoyed by the kids for only a second, but then he looked over at Russian dude's face and laughed. I looked around to see the lingering faces of the hall, most had already looked and returned to their conversations.

"Hey! Mr. Iron Man sir? Can you sign my shirt?" a small boy asked Tony, he was the smallest package in the group and wore thin glasses and had a thick fluff of hair. Tony nodded, stepping in front of Russian dude with purpose and pulling out a marker. Immediately, the small boy struggled to rip open the front of his shirt, unlatching all of the small buttons with a few forceful pulls. Underneath was a weathered Iron Man t-shirt, with a faded light blue reactor and an impressive abdomen exemplified with plastic layering.

"Whoa" I said just as Tony grinned largely and signed 'Iron Man' in big letters within the reactor, and then under it he wrote his name in smaller letters.

"Wow thank you" the kid said in an amazed voice.

"No problem er, what's your name?" Tony asked when he realized he had no idea.

"Samuel" he said in a proud voice. He tilted on his toes excitedly and I noticed some of the other kids behind him staring over enviously. Just as I was  about to beg Tony to sign something of theirs too, knowing that would lead to some sort of bullying later on, Russian dude continued.

"You leave tonight" he said, interrupting Samuel just when he opened his mouth to speak. I pulled him closer to me and away from the Russian before guiding him by the shoulder back to the other kids.

"Sorry, that's not plausible Mr. Bolshakov" Tony said in a strict voice, standing out of his kneel and stepping towards me. It took me a second to realize that was the name I heard on the phone earlier.

"Mr. Stark, you do not understand, this is not negotiable" he said, eyeing me with a glint in his eye.

"Apparently, we aren't negotiable either. We leave first thing in the morning-"

"Mr. Stark-" he said in such an enforcing voice I flinched.

"Our suits are undergoing maintenance, they will be in their best conditions tomorrow morning" Tony said calmly as he put a hand over my shoulder. Suddenly, Pepper came out from nowhere, her once mulling expression now wearing a broad smile.

"Hello, what's going on?" she asked, and I looked behind her to see a large mass of people staring at us curiously. With a small scan I saw that there was a large group surrounding us. I took in a breath and stood as Tony gracefully ended the conversation.

"Just wrapping up. Goodbye Mr. Bolshakov, I will come in contact with you again tomorrow morning" he looked around at the others just as Mr. Bolshakov left grudgingly. He smiled then looked down at my confused face. He held out an arm and said, "Want to dance?"

                I raised a skeptical eyebrow at him and he leaned in a whispered, "Play along, they have cameras. I'll explain everything." I nodded and took his arm, blinking quickly as a camera flashed to my left. While he led me off to the large dance floor I wondered if this is how it was always going to be. Secrets and lies to the nosey press? I didn't mind but keeping up those lies was something I was never good at. I was shaken out of my thought when I felt Tony's hands find my waist. I flinched and he put his hands higher and then, as if embarrassed, put my hands on his shoulder. He held me at a distance and in such a way that no one would assume too much.