Chapter 27: Eddie's Past

A/n: This is dedicated to @NikkiReads!! Thanks so much for reading!!

Just wanted to say that this was originally a filler chap. A lot of you hate Edward and, while I won't say my opinion, I am wondering if this will change your mind of him. Please let me know what you think of Edward once you finished :D Hope you like :)

Oh and check out the pic on the side --> Robert and Indio are sooo cute <3

. : ☼ : .

Chapter 27: Eddie's Past

Third Person

"We're going to go see your daddy" Jean said in a soothing tone, staring down at her infant. Edward was only just over a year, capable of walking and running his mouth dry with mumbled words. Jean loved to think that her son was a genius, like his father, and that the apparent speech dilemma was only present because he didn't have enough words to express himself. Edward stared with bright eyes at the scenery flying past him, their rickety bus seat only adding on to the sight. Only a little a ways from the sandy beach, the bus stopped and Jean, along with some screaming teenagers, came out.

                Jean sat herself down on a small cement wall that divided the sand form the road and placed Edward at her feet. His bare feet raced quickly forward before he came crying back, exclaiming that his feet were burning. Jean paid him no mind and the one year old cried to himself as he plopped onto his butt and lifted his burned feet into the air. His diaper filled with unwanted sand and he tugged at his old white shirt to protect his smooth back from the angry grains. As he struggled to safely sit down, Jean kept herself preoccupied by rearranging some of the stuff in her bag.           

                Her only belongings, as well as Edwards, were crammed into that small bag. It was bulging at all angles but she had found it, it was all she had. After taking a look around for cops or beach patrol, she grabbed her liquor bottle and took a swig, never using a glass. She sighed contentedly as she hid it away in the bag before standing and removing her sandals.

"Come on Eddie" she called as she began to walk forward.

"Hot, hot" he said simply and she turned to see him rolled up like a squished rollie-pollie.

"Fine then, if mom can do it so can you" she said and continued to walk forward. After a few terrifying moments, Edward stood and felt his feet burn. Tears ebbed out of his eyes as he saw Jean walking further away. He ran forward, arms outstretched to speed him up, and trailed behind his mother.

. : ☼ : .

"Daddy?" Edward managed to say as his mom stopped in front of a simple building on the cliffs. It wasn't anything too amazing, at least not yet, just a glass home with one story. Jean walked forward and looked at the house expectantly, still far away from it.

"Damn bastard" she seethed, pacing on the sand. Her feet, calloused as they were, felt nothing as the grain rubbed against the underside of her foot.

"Daddy?" Edward repeated, momentarily forgetting the aching in his feet.

"Daddy's not here. He must be, ugh back in New York. Eddie, why does your dad have to be so stupid?" she kicked sand out and some flew to Edwards face. He refused to cry out though and moved away from his mom, against the breeze. He pretended to kick absentmindedly as he hopefully watched the sand fly. He wanted to hit his mom back, not as a sign of hate, but as a game. It was marked in his brain, you hit me and I'll hit you back. Of course, sometimes he lost those games but it didn't mean he didn't enjoy playing. It was one of the only ways Jean spent time with him.

                Jean said nothing as she walked away, angry at her predicament. She swung the bag around and took out the liquor bottle, drinking heavily from it to soothe herself. As she walked away, Edward carefully balanced himself and turned his bottom right foot up to him. He was met with angry red blisters already beginning to form due to hours walking on the burning sand. Dropping the foot back down, he walked at a slower pace behind his mom.