Chapter 22: Count On Me

A/n: This is dedicated to @AlexisD1998 for being amazingly amazing and reading :P

. : ☼ : .

Chapter 22: Count On Me

Andy

                I walked up to school the next day, feeling airy and weightless. With Tony's permission, I had taken a double dosage of the pain medication, which the doctor had agreed to once he was informed. Pepper and Tony both told me I could stay home if I wanted to. But I had three big tests that day and just wanted to get them over with. Besides, Pepper had spent the night in Tony's room and I thought it'd be best to leave them alone. Even though I knew they were meant to be together, it was still weird to see. Especially since they weren't totally open about it or admitted to anything. It was complicated.

I had hoped and prayed the whole ride there that Luke wouldn't show up. I already knew where I was going to hang out so that I could avoid him at all costs. Once I got to school, I headed straight for the hallway upstairs. I knew for a fact that he wouldn't look for me there because it was freshmen territory. It wasn't like I couldn't walk there, like I would be punished because I did. But it was more like a verbal agreement. I fit myself in between the gap spacing out two sets of lockers. I pulled out my StarkPod and turned on Pandora. I fished out my earphones from my pocket and plugged them in. I hummed along slowly to Penguins by Christina Perri and started off my day.

. : ☼ : .

                As fourth period ended, I slowly got my stuff together. I planned on sitting in the abandoned biology room downstairs, but I still had to go into the cafeteria to pick up my lunch. I hadn't seen Luke all day and I felt like I aced my history essay; things were going pretty great so far. I pulled my bag over my shoulder and walked to the cafeteria slowly, avoiding the noisy clumps of starving teenagers. Once in line, I started to look around, somewhat paranoid. Even when I was sure he wasn't there, I still kept my eye out.

                As my eyes skimmed over the line behind me, I spotted Shane standing a few people behind me. He waved happily, a large contagious smile etched on his face. I couldn't help but grin back and wave, however, it was less frantic and excited. I made it to the silver serving table and pulled out a five dollar bill from my bag. I grabbed my lunch and paid the lunch lady, who smiled at me. I turned and my eyes immediately locked on the all too familiar face.

                Luke was staring around the cafeteria angrily, his shoulders rising with every one of his breaths. I told myself to look down, knowing he would be able to feel my stare at him. But once I finally moved to do so, his eyes locked with mine. He stormed through the cafeteria and I felt someone brush past me as the line moved despite my frozen state. My lunch felt heavy in my hands and I held it tighter in anticipation as Luke walked closer. What the hell are you doing, idiot?! Move! I screamed at myself but found my legs rooted to the spot.

                I stepped back once, almost tripping, and tried to repeat the action. He was moving closer; I could now see the whites of his eyes, the anger rolling off of him in waves. I tried to step back once more and my leg paused half way in the air. He reached an arm for me and I found myself frozen in complete and utter fear. Just as his warm fingers touched my wrist, dropping my food to the ground, it was slapped away. I moved my eyes over to the left to see Shane staring directly into Luke's eyes.

"Don't touch her" he said calmly and Luke looked like he was ready to go berserk. He raised a fist to punch Shane, but he dodged it quickly. He tried again and Shane grabbed it in his hand. He smirked confidently, like a small child, before twisting it painful. Just as I managed to gain control of my body and knew in my mind that Shane was winning, Luke punched him across the face.