Sunburns in the Golden State

I knew California was sunny, but I was not expecting the have my skin baked, cooked, and burned. Of course my uncle lived up where he could have another private runaway, and  the new school place looked pretty good. We had spent the last three hours unloading children and their personal belongings into the mansion my uncle owned. Everyone had brought pillows, their bedsheets, and a small bag of personal belongings, which wasn't much because most of the children had next to nothing anyway.

I was directing traffic. With nearly one hundred and fifty students, I had a lot on my hands. Even then it was hard enough Tyler had come over to pester me.

"What are you doing?" He asked, sugarcoating his words.

I gritted my teeth. "Go bother Will, he needs to lighten up."

Will had literally sulked inside and found a rafter to mope on.

Tyler shrugged. "He won't even talk to me and I'm bored out of mind."

I gently pushed a younger girl back into the line of children. "Well I'm sure you can find some way to occupy your time."

"Nah, so how do you turn invisible? Can you teach me?" He pestered.

My face was growing hot and my back stung from standing in the sun for so long. "No! Go away."

He sighed. "Fine I see how it is, you don't want to talk to me."

He stalked off to find some other unsuspecting victim. I don't what he was trying to do, one minute he's being anti-social, the other I can't seem to get away from him.

I sighed and continued herding kids into the building.

Later after most people were settled and I was tired, I found my way to a living room and crashed onto a couch. My back stung and I yelped, sitting back up again.

My uncle, who happened to be in the room at the time, glanced up from his newspaper.

"Are you okay?"

I reach behind me a tentatively felt along the irritated skin along my shoulders. "I think I have a sun burn."

"Yeah, that's what happens when you stand in the sun for three hours straight." Mumbled Will from above, still moping.

My uncle face palmed. "Sun screen! I forgot sun screen! I wonder if I could get enough for everyone without seeming to obvious..."

"The Internet." Suggested Will.

"Great Scott! Have you been up there all day?" He gasped.

Will groaned in reply shuffling himself on the rafter in to a more comfortable position.

"All this over a girl, it's amazing the human mind." He continued to marvel.

Will growled at him, and I gave my uncle a look that said, be quiet before you make it worse. Will was no fun since Genny had been kidnapped, we didn't even know if she was still alive, or if she were alive but turned cyborg. The thought made my stomach twist and I remembered yesterday, finding Will unconscious on the ground, after he woke up he had been a mess of tears, and yells, not to mention whatever Casey had done to him was messing with his powers and he had a headache on the way here. Will must really care about her, I thought to myself, feeling bad for teasing him so much about it. That was before things got serious, he had never been to the Lab like Will and Tyler had, but he had heard enough stories from incoming students to grasp the true horrors.