Monster

Genny had calmed down. She wanted to apologize to Dylan for for snapping at him, she kept trying to remember that he had been under the influence of the Lab, She had even found a small dart that had probably fallen out of Dylan's neck when he transformed back. Speaking of Dylan, she hadn't seen him once since the incident with the maze. He had remained inside his cell, which he was free to leave, for a week. They were each given a slice of bread and some sort of slop twice a day, Genny suspected Dylan came out at night to collect his ration. She didn't want him to be starving himself though.

    Will was miserable.

    He was given stitches without painkillers, but he had been unconscious for the most part, He kept fading in and out over the week, the lack of food and water wasn't helping. They had some sort of tube in his arm. Will got the feeling that's were the fuzziness in his brain was coming from. They tied his wings down, the action had actually made him vomit more than a few times, and the blood coming off them had been from Dylan ripping out some newer feathers, which took forever to regrow, by the way.

    There was also another crude bracelet around his ankle, it was somehow stopping him from reaching out and hearing other people's thoughts. He hated that too, not knowing how his friends were doing was killing him. He had to get penny out of here because she was his best friend, he had to get Tui out of here because she really needed to meet her long lost brother, and Josie was too young to be in a place like this, Will didn't know what Dylan's story was, but as violent and dangerous as he was, nobody deserved to be left behind in the Lab. Will preferred he stayed away from Genny though.

    One of Will's clearer memories from that nightmarish experience was the time they cut into his head again. He woke up with a nasty headache and a new scar. While he lay there on a hospital bed, tied down, unable to sleep, Casey was watching him. That was when he had that lovely conversation with her.

    On the eight day he was shoved onto his feet and forced to walk painfully down the halls, each an exact copy of the next one. Casey gripped his arm, he didn't fight it. He knew she was past hope of redemtion. He had never felt quite as hopeless as he did now.

    The concrete wall slid aside as he was shoved roughly to the ground. Will winced as the cuts on his side stretched as he forced himself to stand up. The first thing he saw, in the dim lights was Dylan staring at him in fear.

"Are you okay?" Dylan asked.

Will grit his teeth as he forced himself to stand, pain lancing along his side with every movement. "I've been worse."

That was a lie.

There was a strangled choking sound to Will's right, and he glanced over to see a Genny fussing over him like a stricken mother hen.

"That bandage is huge Will, I can't believe Dylan-" She stopped herself abruptly, glancing over to the greasy haired blonde was sitting by himself, a ways off, watching them and pretending not to care.

Tui snarled at him. "This is what you did, you monster."

Genny pushed her lightly. Her eyes flashing red as she came in contact with Tui's skin. Dylan kept staring at them coldly.

He stood, and walked back into his room. His fingers curled around the doorframe and he yanked the door shut with such ferocity Will could feel it in his jaw.

"That was a bit harsh Tui." Genny said, giving her a look.

Tui snorted. "That's what he is, I mean look what he did to Will!"

"Guys, please. Don't fight." Josie asked, staring up at us with her huge brown eyes. "This is my fault."

    "What?" Genny questioned in disbelief. "How is this your fault sweetie."

    Josie starting crying. "In knew this was going to happen. I felt it right before you two disappeared into the maze. I shoulda told you."

    Tui picked her up and hugged her. "It's not you're fault Josie, there's nothing we could have done."

    Will felt her heart melting. Even though none of them have had a shower in weeks, they were gritty, dirty, sweaty, and emotionally drained, Josie was still adorable.

    "Hey Josie." He started. "I'm going to be fine, okay? I heal faster than a normal person, I'm not going to die."

    She nodded, hugging Tui's neck, looking slightly less distressed. Will sat down again, laying on the floor, on his stomach, and started to take a nap.

    "Don't you want one of the beds?" Genny asked.

    Will shook his head. "They're not comfortable, beside the floor is nice and cold."

    She bit her lip. "Okay, as along as you're good. I'm gonna see if Dylan's alright."

    Tui scoffed. "Why do you care?"

    Genny frowned. "Despite all he's done he's still a human being Tui."

    She slid aside the meshed door slowly, peering inside. Dylan was laying face down on his canvas bed, it was very dark in there.

    "Hey." She started, touching his shoulder. She instantly felt his emotions surge into her as she realized he was completely and utterly miserable.

    "Don't touch me, I might hurt you." He groaned sarcastically, not moving.

She sat down, eye level with his head. He shifted and turned away from her.

"Leave me alone." He spat again.

"Dylan, I'm sorry for yelling at you. I just kinda freaked out, but it wasn't your fault."

    He sat up and faced her, his eyes red and puffy. He had been crying. It was really pathetic of him now that she thought about it.

    "You should listen to your friend, I am a monster. You shouldn't talk to me." He commanded.

    "No you're not. I am going to talk to you because you're my friend." She shot back.

    Dylan's face twisted into one of pure anguish. "Oh really? Is that what you were thinking when you left me here to die while you tried to escape without me? Is that what friends do?"

    Genny winced mentally. "I'm sorry."

"So am I, and look at all the forgiveness I've received." He gestured his arms in the air, then flopped them down at his sides.

Genny reached forward and wrapped her arms around him. Dylan's eyes widened in surprise as he went completely still, his face growing hot.

"There, now we can be friends, right?" She asked. "I forgive you."

He blinked. "Um, sure. I forgive you to."

    "Great, now come out and hang with us. If we're going to get out of here, we need everyone." She held open the door and extended her hand.

Dylan waited a few moments, staring at her in amazement. Then took her hand, and walked through the door.